The Highs & Lows Of Bollywood Makeup
August 24, 2011 MakeupCritic 913052 reads 82 comments
Being a makeup artist and beautician myself, the first thing I notice is how the Bollywood ladies wear their makeup. I've chose some FAB makeup moments, and the NOT so fab moments that some of the leading ladies have been seen in.
I am fully aware that lighting makes a LOT of difference, please take this post as entertainment only. :)
• Perfect Barbie pink lipstick for her skintone. Doesn’t make her look like a corpse
• The eye makeup is kept quite neat. Kohl in the waterline and on the upperlash line frames her eyes well.
• Her skin looks beautiful, golden and healthy.
• Sporting the classic combo of a bright red lipstick, the added gloss gives it a great touch for a nighttime event.
• The thick liner on the upper lash line is all that is needed, especially when the lips are so bold.
• Everything is over the top. There is TOO much going on with the eye area. Thick brows, too much eyeshadow and obvious contacts just make her look quite witchy.
• The lips are too dark . If the eyes were neutral, the lip colour could have worked. Deepika is usually seen sporting this shade of lipstick, and quite frankly, it does nothing for her complexion.
• Her face looks dull. There is no warmth at all, not on the cheeks or lips. The whole look falls flat.
• Matching your lipstick to your hair is never a good idea. A currant coloured gloss would have elevated this look.
• Even though this photo is taken in natural lighting, the foundation doesn't look cakey. The base is super smooth and flawless
• The eye makeup is just right. Aishwaryas eyes don't need heavy eyeshadow, so some khol liner and false lashes do the trick in making her eyes sparkle
• The lips are the perfect balance of nude and color.
• The focus is on one area, her lips. The colour suits her skintone perfectly. The coral/rust colour makes her whole face look brighter.
• The blusher is so perfect, it looks like she is blushing from within.
• Instead of looking dewy, her skin just looks oily. The foundation should have been set with powder.
• The eyeshadows used should have been matte. They are shimmery, and along with the oiliness of the face, and the glossy lips, the face just looks too "shiny"
• The nude lips are just wrong. On the HQ of this picture, you can see the foundation has been applied onto the lips. This is just wrong on all levels. Foundation does not make a nude lip.
• If theres one thing that doesnt suit Aishwarya, it is heavy eyes. They make her look a lot older. The excess smokiness of this look just makes it look gothic. The eyeshadow needs to be blended a lot more, and the use of pink as a crease colour only makes it look more gothic.
• We all know the rule. If the eyes are so intense, the lips and cheeks should be muted. However, n this case, every aspect of the look is strong and intense. Too much all at once.
• Her eyes are understated, yet they pop. The liquid liner is just the right thickness.
• The lips work wonders with her hair colour. Thankfully, she escaped the matchy matchy look by going for a copper coloured gloss as opposed to red.
• The foundation is flawless. This is how to do the dewy look and get it right.
• As Kareenas skin is so pale, anything harsh or strong will look odd. In this case, her face has no dimension to it. The blusher moulds into her natural skintone too well.
• The eyes are lined with liner which is too strong, too dark and too intense. The colour is too much of a contrast with her light eyes. Blending is key!!!
• There is a definite freshness to this look. It makes Rani look 10 years younger.
• We all know Rani is the queen of the smoky eye and this is no exception. The colour is blended so well, you can't tell where the eyeshadow begins, or where the liner starts.
• Nude lipgloss makes Ranis eyes stand out even more. The shine on the lips gives it a very fresh look, for the daytime or nighttime.
• Ranis face looks flawless here. The foundation is matte, and there are no visible pores and no uneven skintone.
• The matte lips look great and they are lined just right. You can see the lipliner, but it doesnt look out of place as it is the same shade as her lipstick.
• Of course, the eyes are smoky perfection. The grey shadow makes her hazel eyes stand out 10 x more.
• There is just too much of everything here. The whole colour scheme seems to be brown.
• The contouring on Ranis nose is too harsh. You can clearly see the bronzer down the sides of her nose. Once again, blending is key!
• With this being a daytime event, the makeup should have been more neutral and dewy.
• This is one time where I thought she got the smoky look all wrong. Browns should have been used instead of black. Her eyes look way too extreme.
• Priyankas makeup looks exquisite here. The foundation is perfect and matches her skintone well. There is no ashiness, just lovely bronze skin
• The shade of blusher (a dark coral/peach) is just perfect with the golden gown. It really gives her face that extra vibrancy.
• The eyes are very neautral, this allows the lips to do all the talking.. literally. The lipstick shade is perfect for her, she usually gets the lip colour wrong by going for dark plum shades.
• The perfect word for this look is.. SMOULDERING! The eyes are impeccable. I believe this is due to Priyanka taking her coloured contact lenses out. The darkness of her eye colour looks fab with the black liner. It gives her a smokey look without even trying!
• The lips are also spot on. As Priyanka has large lips, nude colours will only make her lips look even bigger, so the lipstick shade she has on here, is brilliant for her.
• I know that the lighting has a lot to pay for here, but the foundation looks patchy and blotchy.
• The lips are so matte, they look dry and cracked. A bright pink gloss would have done wonders here.
• My biggest gripe with Priyanka, is that she tries to hide her natural skin colour. She likes to powder excessively and this shows in the grey patches that show up on her face.
• The lipstick application is shoddy. It needs to be cleaner around the corners of the lips.
• Her eyes needed some khol liner here, just to tie in the whole look.
I hope you guys enjoyed this post. Please note, this isn't a post to hate on anyones looks. It is just a discussion about the makeup techniques which their MUA's have used. I know that nobody is perfect :)