The Casting Couch In Bollywood
December 12, 2009 afrada 452900 reads 27 comments
Browsing over the internet I came across a few articles regarding the casting couch. The term was new for me and I hopped onto reliable wikipedia for more Information. I was horrified to read that famous actors such as shakti kapoor and aman verma to "realistic" film-makers sucha Madhur Bhandarkar to Subhash K Jha had been involved in such scandals. Apparently bollywood is not all glamour and glitz it has some shady areas too. In fact lots of it. Lets take an indepth look into some of the scandals regarding this matter in recent years.
1. In 2004 an aspiring actress Preeti Jain apparently accused Madhur Bhandarkar of sexually exploiting her in exchange of a lead role in his movie. Surprising is that Madhur had briefly displayed this matter in his movie Page 3.
2. Shakti Kapoor in 2005 was caught in a sting operation because he was forcing women into having sexual relations with him in exchange of movie roles. Most of the bollywood industry claimed that the video footage of the evidence was misleading.
3. Aman Verma ( The eldest son in Baghban) was also caught in the sting operation by India's Most Wanted
4. In a Statement Priyanshu Chatterje brought to limelight that he was also asked for sexual favours by a male producer in return of a role.
5. Recently Subhash K Jha was accused by famous singer Sonu Nigam of sexually harrasing him.
6. Model Bobby Vats said, "I was told, 'You'll get the job, but you know for the job you got to do this.' And that's the thing. That's why I'm out of the fashion world. Sorry all fashion people, I love them all for their creativity, but that's the way I am. I will not succumb."
There are defintely many more such cases. What is your opinion about the matter? Do you think something serious should be done about this or is it just a 'thing' of the industry? If you know of any more scandals then please do share with us. Lets dig the dirt about glamorous BOLLYWOOD.