The Most Underrated Actresses of Bollywood
June 11, 2012 Fiza_Khan 330316 reads 111 comments
This post is based on the most underrated actresses of Bollywood. In this case, I mean all those actresses who had the capability to gain awards and recognition, but despite their amazing acting skills they are often missed out from various lists or do not even get signed for movies. I will say the director is to blame in some areas -
- Konkona Sen Sharma - her acting has a sense of "reality," which always makes me feel that I am watching a movie based on true life story. For example - Mr & Mrs. Iyer. Unfortunately, for a long time she is not getting any splendid roles to prove her capability of acting. I still like her as an actress, because her purpose is to "ACT," rather than getting all those attention.
- Isha Koppikar - Some of you might disagree with me in this case. The reason why I feel she is underrated is because I think she is most of the time asked to do "supporting roles," but despite her roles being so minor, I feel she shows immense talent in her acting skills. For example - Pinjar. Movies where she had the chance to be the lead actress, either had a bad role or a horrible plot/screen play. I think if she was given the chance to do good movies with great directors and an amazing major role, she could have proved herself to be a very talented actress
- Nandita Das - I feel happy that Nandita Das has won lots of awards and recognitions that she totally deserved. In a way, she is not much seen in those "masala" movies of Bollywood (which are unfortunately more popular), and good thing is that she herself is not interested in those "item" movies. Her movies usually has a message to the audience that potrays the "real life" problems. Her movies as an actress include - Fire, 1947 Earth, Bawandar, Provoked, etc. She has equally proved us to be an amazing director in Firaaq.
- Lara Dutta - I feel this woman is talented, beautiful and ofcourse very intelligent as well! Loved her in movies like No Entry, Billu Barber, Housefull, Masti and Don (1 & 2). These movies show us her versatility! I also feel that instead of Katrina Kaif she could have been a better choice for Dhoom 3 (apology to the Beautiful Katrina's fans)
- Manisha Koraila - what an immense talent she is! Especially in Khamoshi! Loved her from the beginning. I cannot blame the director this time, because I feel most of the directors gave her full justice. I am happy that she also won awards for proving her amazing acting skils in various roles & movies. However, I feel she has less recognition compared to other actresses like Madhuri Dixit.
- Tabu - Who can forget her in the movie Chandni Bar? I almost cried watching that movie, her acting was so genuine and real! I feel Tabu is a very versatile actress because she has performed in other types of roles as well, for ex - Virasaat, Chachi 420, Hera Pheri, Astitva, etc. She truly deserves a lot more recognition! Perhaps she should also make a good come back to hindi movies!
- Sonali Bendre - another Gorgeous, Glamorous & Graceful actress, who despite her amazing looks and charm could not make it big in Bollywood!
- Shilpa Shetty - The "Dhadkan" Girl, truly deserved to win everyone's dhadkan. Her acting in Life in a Metro was equally good as well. It was only when she won Big Brother & married Raj Kundra, that caused her to be in the limelight.
- Juhi Chawla - She is one actress who was always compared to Madhuri Dixit's success. Her acting showed immense versatility from Qayamath se Qayamath Tak, Bol Radha Bol, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, Aaina, Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar ke, Yess Boss, Ishq, Mr & Mrs. Khiladi, I Am, etc. I have seen her doing both tragic and comic roles very smoothly and successfully. Despite being director's fav during the 90s and performing in various roles opposite the 3 Big Khans, she never got the recognition she deserved. Would love to say that she is my "favourite" actress of all times.
- Raveena Tandon - she proved herself in few movies like Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi, Aks & Daman. I believe directors haven't done full justice to her talent.
- Gracy Singh - she was an actress who came, conquered everything and suddenly vanished. She was a promising newcomer when she first did the role of a village girl in an oscar nominated movie opposite Aamir Khan in Laagan. She equally proved herself in Armaan & Munna Bhai MBBS, two blockbusters opposite Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Dutt (alongside the great director Rajkumar Hirani)
- Amrita Rao - is one actress I feel that has GREAT potential, but "directors" are completely to "blame" in this case. I feel Amrita Rao's acting in Main Hoon Nah, Ishq Vishq Pyaar Vyaar, Masti, Vivav, etc proved us her capability. However, after doing her first role in Ishq Vishq as a calm girl, Amrita Rao was most of the time offered for roles of a soft spoken woman. Thus, except Main Hoon Nah she never got the chance to prove her versatility or get out of the box. Directors should have offered her more "various" types of roles, instead of just potraying her as the "sweet" & naive girl.
- Ayesha Takia - do not know what happened to her these days after getting married, as I expected a lot more from her. I loved her in movies like "Dor," "Sunday," "Wanted," etc!
- Bhagyashree and Mahima Chaudhry - The reason why I have combined two of these actresses together is because I can only remember them for 1/2 movies. Bhagyashree is always remembered by everyone in "Maine Pyaar Kiya," and Mahima Chaudhry is always remembered as the lead actress of "Pardes" & "Khiladi 420." After doing these, we hardly saw these two actresses in other potential movies. Directors should have offered them more leading actress's position that they deserve with their amazing acting skills.
- Sushmita Sen - All of us hoped this actress to be as popular as "Aishwarya Rai," as both of them entered the beauty pageant's competition for Miss. Universe together. Both of them were equally beautiful and had an amazing personality. But perhaps Aish's dancing skills & acting in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam conquered a lot of people's heart. I believe Sushmita Sen could have been offered for more "action roles," as she can easily fit into those roles of an action heroine.
- Rimi Sen - I loved her in Phir Hera Pheir, Golmaal & Hungama! Hence, I expected a lot more from her rather than just playing supporting roles in the Dhoom sequence!
- Urmila Matondkar - Another extremely beautiful "versatile" actress who definitely deserved more awards & recognitions for proving her amazing acting skills! We have seen her in various roles including - tragic, comic, thriller, horror, etc!
These are just my opinions, do add your own point of views as well. Extremey sorry if I have missed anyone. Thank You so much for taking your time to read my post.
On 8th February I also made a post about the most underrated actors of Bollywood. Some of you added Emraan Hashmi, Govinda, Irfan Khan & Abhishek Bachchan. I am sorry for forgetting these particular actors and I agree with you that these 4 deserves more recognition.