Anatomy of a K drama Scene: Why did Kim Seon Ho keep apologising to halmeoni in gut wrenching Start Up moment?

*SPOILERS ALERT* In today's edition of Anatomy of a K-drama Scene, we take a quiet introspection into why Kim Seon-ho kept apologising to Kim Hae-sook; after finding out about her illness, in the emotional Start-Up sequence.

While the intense curiousity over who Seo Dal-mi (Suzy) chooses between Nam Do-san (Nam Joo-hyuk) and Han Ji-pyeong (Kim Seon-ho) has caused a big debate on Twitter between DoDal and JiDal shippers, if there is one thing almost most Start-Up fans can collectively agree upon; Ji-pyeong and halmeoni's (Kim Hae-sook) relationship trumped everything else.

*SPOILERS ALERT* In today's edition of Anatomy of a K-drama Scene, we have a moment of quiet introspection into a tear-jerking Start-Up sequence between Ji-pyeong and halmeoni after the former finds out that Ms. Choi is turning blind due to an illness. After silently noticing her use Samsan Tech's app NoonGil to calculate how much she earned that day from her corn dog's shop, Ji-pyeong is seen with a remorseful look on his face. Referring to Ji-pyeong as her good boy, halmeoni is shocked to see him all beaten up (because of his fight with Do-san).

Ji-pyeong doesn't disclose what exactly happened and lies that it was his fault. While yelling at whoever it was that hit Ji-pyeong and cutely saying that she's never met anyone as good as him, the latter gets agitated, fights away halmeoni's hands and exclaims, "No, I'm not. I'm not a good boy. Ms. Choi, you completely misjudged me. I'm a jerk who hurts other people with harsh words. I pretend to be the smartest in the world, but in reality, I'm just an idiot who knows nothing. I'm not a good boy." Finally breaking down, a nervous halmeoni goes past Ji-pyeong's walls, asking him what's wrong.

A heartbroken Ji-pyeong tightly hugs halmeoni and profusely keep apologising while Ms. Choi is left in shock. One couldn't help but try to decipher what it was that Ji-pyeong was apologising for. One instance is because of how harsh he had been towards NoonGil, claiming it to not be a profitable business as well as disapproving the AI Yeong-sil, which proved important for Samsan Tech's helpful app. The fact that Do-san built the app for halmeoni's illness struck hard for Ji-pyeong as he feels he's in debt of her for how halmeoni took care of him when he was at his lowest. It's also the fact that halmeoni is the closest thing Ji-pyeong has to an actual family.

Another instance could also be his guilt over Kim Yong-san's (Kim Do-wan) elder brother's death and how he might have played a considerable part in it. Even though Yoon Seon-hak (Seo Yi-sook) reassures him that he wasn't wrong in giving his honest criticism, the guilt refuses to die down for a very long time.

There's also the factoring in of Dal-mi and his feelings towards her. When finding out about how she's been fired from Samsan Tech, a teary-eyed Dal-mi asks for Ji-pyeong's honest opinion, which he gives albeit a bit too harshly. Post breaking down in front of halmeoni, we see Ji-pyeong even apologising to Dal-mi for his actions. This prompts Dal-mi to lecture him as she states he shouldn't feel sorry as he was doing the right thing.

There's also the parallels to an Ep 1 scene between a young Ji-pyeong and halmeoni which plays a big part in Ep 12's sequence. As Ji-pyeong is waiting for his bus to Seoul after his fight with halmeoni over the bank account money, halmeoni comes to say goodbye to him and even buys him new shoes. "Promise me. If you become successful, don't call me. Don't call me if you become rich and get married. Don't call me if you're happy. I don't want to feel jealous. But call me... if you're going through a rough patch. Come to me if it's raining and you have nowhere to go like you once did. Don't just stand in the rain. You know where to find the keys," halmeoni tells an emotional Ji-pyeong.

An adult Ji-pyeong, who still finds it hard to be emotionally more open tends to break down only in front of halmeoni. We see this happen even in Ep 9 when Ji-pyeong has his moment of delayed epiphany and reveals to halmeoni that he has feelings for Dal-mi and is also angry that he can't do anything about it. While the rain is pouring down on him, it's halmeoni who provides a literal and metaphorical umbrella for her good boy.

Watch Kim Seon-ho and Kim Hae-sook's apology scene in Start-Up HERE:

ALSO READ: Anatomy of a K drama Scene: How food was used as a symbol of Kim Seon Ho's love confession to Suzy in Start Up

What did you think of Han Ji-pyeong's apology to halmeoni in Start-Up? Loved it or hated it? Share your thoughts with Pinkvilla in the comments section below.

Anonymous 3 months ago

I love everything about Start-Up, flaws and all! The cast and crew really did a great job! The family, life, career, & love lessons are amazing! One of the best Kdramas I’ve ever watched! Everyone had a happy ending. Most satisfying ending ever! Dosan and Dalmi are meant for each other. ♥️ Their love/business journey was full of obstacles but they were able to surpassed it and learned from it with the help of their family, friends, and Sandbox. Jip-yeong had a happy ending just like everyone. He got family, friends, & purpose. I was so happy that he finally understood & acted on what the grandma wanted him to do since the beginning- instead of repaying the “debt” to grandma, pay it forward to those who are more in need - the orphans. JP’s realization while talking to Mr. Hong (CEO of the start-up that helps orphans financially) was one of my fave scenes in episode 16. It was heartwarming! ♥️

Anonymous 4 months ago

I wish that the writer could change the storyline where 3 years later, DM divorced with Dosan and finally get together with jipyeong. It can happen though since jipyeong basically already become part of grandma family for years

Anonymous 4 months ago

This is the 1st time i am watching a drama for the character that is Jipyeong. Writer did viewers bad with all the hype and bulit up on the letters the fluttering small things that Jipyeong did for DM, the provocation that makes Jipyeong realise he likes DM, just throw down the drain. From the start to end, i have never wanted Jipyeong to end with DM cos Jipyeong deserves better and for that Jipyeong is a winner as he gives care for other orphan like himself (18 yrs old set out by orphanage to sail without a map). I will remember Jipyeong (Kim Seon Ho for the outanding performance) for a long time but not the drama start up. I will also remember grandma who loves him. The writer was my favourite writer but now i have doubt. Her next drama i will not watch if she casts suzy again, nothing against Suzy, cos the plot will be the same hype. Waiting patiently for Seon Ho new drama. In the meantime, i am enjoying watching him in 2days1night and rewatch his other dramas.

Anonymous 4 months ago

This is the only K-Drama where I hated lead couples, no chemistry between dalmi and nam do san and story went downhill from episode 12. I started skipping whenever I saw lead couples on screen.

Me too

Anonymous 4 months ago

I loved this kdrama yes i was disappointed that Seo didn't fall in love with Nam, but that's what makes these dramas so gut wrenching. I have watched close to over 50 different kdramas but keep going back to watching boys over flowers (13) times. My husband got me hooked on kdramas, of which made me want to learn Korean. I will continue to support my favorite actors and actress. Though I live in the USA I find that these dramas are much more honest.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I wish this drama had a different ending.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I fall in love with Kim seon ho since his previous drama. He has a very charming smile. I love him more in this drama. Very disappointing that the writer make Seo Dal mi not even consider him for the letters he wrote to her which bring her hope and make her strong. Han ji pyong do averything just to make Dalmi happy without her knowledge. But in the end he still small HJP who was crying alone and lonely. Is so unfair... The writer should make Nam do san success in his startup but not with Dalmi. Should make Dalmi happy with HJP.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I continue to watch this drama because of jipyeong...

Anonymous 4 months ago

I love you❤ seon ho, u r the hero for this drama, acting was awesome, u r so beautiful, handsome etc.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I'm looking forward to more of kim seon ho acting. Passionate and great acting. A real good man. This my first kdrama.....his acting was way better than the main lead.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I agree with the opinion that theirs is the strongest and most loving relationship. I hope he gets a happy ending for the boy who had no family and for the man who is deeply in love.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I 'm not happy at the end of the story. I am very disappointed I will not watch the last episode. I already know the ending. I feel sorry for Mr. Han Ji Pyeong |

Anonymous 4 months ago

Han ji pyeong held back his feelings for dalmi because he was protecting grandma. And she doesnt want dalmi to feel sad, betrayed and confused. It was obvious that dalmi was already fixated with the idea of do san bein the boy-who-wrote-the-letters and telling the truth would only jeopardize the relationship of dalmi and grandma. HJP even stopped grandma from confessing when dalmi was sensing something weird abt dosan's personality. Thats how much he loves them both. It was just sad that dalmi did not notice such gestures. How can she not see the real boy from the letters? It was obvious that ji pyeong and dosan have differeng personalities. Having been said that, i truly believe dalmi does not deserve HJP.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Me too feel the same way

Anonymous 4 months ago

You’ll find the answer in the final episode and why Do San deserves Dal Mi. I was on Mr Han too. It’s pretty simple actually.

Anonymous 4 months ago

You’ll find the answer in the final episode. I was on Mr Han’s side also.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I agree with last two comments

Anonymous 4 months ago

I feel the same way...I'm not happy at all.Not gonna watch the last episode.

Anonymous 4 months ago

I feel the same way...I'm not happy at all.Not gonna watch the last episode.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Kim seon ho what an actor you are mind-blowing. you are the only reason why I'm watching the show....and I promise I'll watch every show of yours in future.I wish you success in life

Anonymous 4 months ago

Honestly, the relationship between Good Boy and Grandma is the best thing about Start Up...it symbolizes everything that is good about humanity.... I always look forward to the food truck scenes....

Anonymous 4 months ago

This scene is the best in startup. The amazing thing is how similar young and adult jipyeong. Such a talented actor. He even study how young jipyeong gesture so he can potray the same gesture so we can relate so much. The crying scene done beautifully that i replayed it many times to only find how amazing it was.

Anonymous 4 months ago

His every scene with halmoni is the reason I've continued to watch start up eventhough I know how this story will turn out in the end. Their side of story is my much anticipated scenes to watch and the actors performed exceptionally. So much so that it overwhelmed and overshadowed the main storyline for me. Halmoni and Ji- Pyeong story could actually be taken as a completely different drama in its entirety. His turn as Ha ji-pyeong, will stay as one second lead character I'll probably remember for the longest time in kdramaland.

#jidal They are the best

Anonymous 4 months ago

Didn't like the ending. Wished Dalmi would have ended.up with Ji peong.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Heard he cried for 3 hours after finding out about the scene which lasted to 13 hours of cry exhaustion. It shows Kim Seon Ho's dedication. Absolutely love his passion for his work. Perhaps that's why he has swooned us all. He is our new prince

Anonymous 4 months ago

Very mothery and son relationship.is a beautiful scene...that makes KSO a good boy

Anonymous 4 months ago

Ji Pyeong and Halmeoni's interactions have always been the best for me.