20 best movies of all times that you should definitely add to your watchlist

Let us have a look at some of the best movies of all times which are a must watch for all the movie lovers. These iconic movies are popular because of numerous reasons including their storyline, background score, music, etc.
20 best movies of all times that you should definitely add to your watchlist20 best movies of all times that you should definitely add to your watchlist
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Share on whatsapp

It takes a lot of effort and hard work to make a movie. Right from deciding its script to choosing the star cast, the makers put in a lot of their blood and sweat in order to roll out the movie into the floors. Numerous movies get released into the theatres every weekend out of which some of them become superhits while the others fail miserably at the box office. However, there are certain movies which stand out of the crowd and win the hearts of the audiences and critics in such a manner that they get remembered through generations. 

Let us have a look at the ten best movies of all times which have won the hearts of the audiences:

1. Mother India (1957)

This movie featuring Nargis, Sunil Dutt, Raaj Kumar and Rajendra Kumar, is considered to be an all - time box office hit. The movie went on to become a cultural classic and is considered to be one of the best movies in world cinema. It became the first Indian movie to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

2. The Godfather (1972)

The Godfather happens to be an American crime thriller movie which was produced by Albert S. Ruddy and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. In this movie, actor Al Pacino portrays the role of Michael Corleone who gradually transforms himself into a ruthless mafia boss. The Godfather became the highest grossing movie of the year 1972. 

3. Deewar (1975)

This epic crime drama movie has been directed by Yash Chopra and features Amitabh Bachchan, Shashi Kapoor, Nirupa Roy, Neetu Singh and Parveen Babi in the lead roles. This cinematic masterpiece went on to popularise Amitabh Bachchan as the angry young man of Bollywood. The dialogues of this movie are popular among the movie lovers even now. 

4. Jaws (1975)

This amazing thriller movie has been directed by Steven Spielberg. It is still considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made. It was also considered to be the highest grossing movie of all times until the year 1977 post which its position was overtaken by Star Wars. 

5. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

This amazing space - opera movie was directed by Richard Marquand. It happens to be the third installment of the Star Wars trilogy (original). 

6. Rocky IV (1985)

This sports drama movie featured Sylvester Stallone who also happens to be its director. Rocky IV went on to become the highest grossing sports movie for a long span of 24 years, before being overtaken by the movie, The Blind Side. 

7. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 

It happens to be an American drama movie which features actor Tim Robbins in the role of banker who is accused of killing his wife and her lover despite claiming his innocence. The movie chronicles his life in the Shawshank State Penitentiary in which he befriends one of his fellow prisoners and gets engaged in a money laundering operation. 

8. Titanic (1997)

This epic romance and disaster movie is considered to be one of the best movies of all times. Produced and directed by James Cameron, the movie chronicles the love story of Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) who fall in love during the ill - fated maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic. 

9. Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001)

This epic sports drama movie has been produced by Aamir Khan and directed by Ashutosh Gowarikar. Later on, Lagaan became the third Indian movie to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film after Mother India and Salaam Bombay! 

10. Dil Chahta Hai (2001)

This comedy drama featured Aamir Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Saif Ali Khan, Preity Zinta, Sonali Kulkarni and Dimple Kapadia in the lead roles. Directed by Farhan Akhtar, the movie went on to receive the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi. 

11. Black (2005)

Directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, this amazing movie featured Amitabh Bachchan and Rani Mukerji in the lead roles. The movie drew inspiration from the life of Hellen Keller and its story chronicled the life of a blind and deaf girl. Black went on to become the highest grossing Indian movie worldwide in the year 2005. 

12.  Rang De Basanti (2006)

The movie features Aamir Khan, Kunal Kapoor, Soha Ali Khan, Siddharth Narayan, Atul Kulkarni, R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi and Alice Patten in the lead roles. The movie broke all opening box office records in India upon its release. Rang De Basanti also received critical acclaim after being released globally. 

13. The Dark Knight (2008)

This superhero movie was produced and directed by noted filmmaker Christopher Nolan and was the second installment of The Dark Knight trilogy. The Dark Knight came to be considered as one of the best movies of the decade. It is also considered to be one of the best superhero movies of all times. 

14. Avatar (2009)

This amazing science fiction movie was produced and directed by James Cameron. The movie is set at the backdrop of the 22nd century when the humans have started colonizing a habitable moon named Pandora. Avatar went on to become the highest grossing movie of all times. 

15. The Social Network (2010)

This amazibg biopic portrays the various events which led to the founding of the social networking website Facebook and the various issues and lawsuits related to it. Actor Jesse Eisenberg portrayed the role of Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook in this movie.

16. Inception (2010)

This psychological thriller which features Leonardo DiCaprio has been produced and directed by Christopher Nolan. Leonardo plays the role of a professional thief in the movie. Inception was the fourth highest grossing movie of the year 2010. 

17. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011)

This amazing buddy road movie was produced by Farhan Akhtar and directed by Zoya Akhtar. The movie features Farhan Akhtar, Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol, Kalki Koechlin and Katrina Kaif in the lead roles. 

18. Argo (2012)

This wonderful historical drama has been directed by Ben Affleck and it revolves around the story of a CIA agent who launches a nerve - wrecking operation in order to save a few Americans who were kept hostage in Tehran. 

19. Kahaani (2012)

This mystery thriller movie which has been produced and directed by Sujoy Ghosh features Vidya Balan in the role of a pregnant woman named Vidya Bagchi who goes out in search of her missing husband. The movie received a lot of appreciation for its theme of motherhood and feminism in the patriarchial Indian society. 

20. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013)

This biopic movie is based on the life of the Indian athlete, Milkha Singh. Bollywood actor Farhan Akhtar portrays the titular role in the movie. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag went on to become one of the highest grossing movies of the year 2013. 

So, these are some of the best movies of all times which are a must watch for all the movie lovers. Do you think that any other movie can be incorporated into this list. Let us know in the comments section. 

Comments

Obviously loving your own countries cinema is a prerequisite for this " critic" . Really Rocky IV( the worse of the Rocky movies), Inception , The Social Network ( I don't know what to say about this dog of a film), and Jaws (great scare flick but that is all. As for Avatar extremely pretty film but I have seen it twice. A film that is great is something that you will see over and over. The Godfather is one. But that was number 3 on my list. The Godfather II and Citizen Kane are my number 1 and 2. At least I can say thanks for turning me onto Mother India. I will definitely check it out. By the way gangs of wasseypur great just not top

Obviously loving your own countries cinema is a prerequisite for this " critic" . Really Rocky IV( the worse of the Rocky movies), Inception , The Social Network ( I don't know what to say about this dog of a film), and Jaws (great scare flick but that is all. As for Avatar extremely pretty film but I have seen it twice. A film that is great is something that you will see over and over. The Godfather is one. But that was number 3 on my list. The Godfather II and Citizen Kane are my number 1 and 2. At least I can say thanks for turning me onto Mother India. I will definitely check it out. By the way gangs of wasseypur great just not top

ZNMD????
Seriously?!and Bhaag Milkha
3 Akhtar films?

Where is devdas bajirao mastani fashion mary kom queen sholay barfi in the list

It must have Gangs of Wasseypur

Agree

Add new comment