EXCLUSIVE: Meet Pammi Aunty aka Ssumier Pasricha, the new face of Punjabi saas-bahu's saga on the internet!

Updated on Aug 19, 2016   |  11:00 AM IST  |  2.4M
NULL

A few months ago, Ssumier Pasricha's nephew asked him to explore some unique filters on Snapchat. There he found one of a woman with a face pack, wearing oversized sunnies. He started mimicking his Punjabi aunties and neighbours from Delhi, making small videos and uploading on social media channels. Little did he know, his character as Pammi Aunty and her gossip session with BFF Sarla behenji about her daughter-in-law (MBA) and other relatives will go viral!

This is Pammi Aunty, an unladylike caricature of a stereotypical Punjabi woman, who was once spotted by the social media as Shah Rukh Khan's doppelganger but now his role play of Pammi Aunty is taking the internet by storm.

In a freewheeling chat with Pinkvilla.com, Ssumier aka Pammi Aunty spoke at length about his character, decoding what makes his videos so popular dressed as a Punjabi woman and spilling the beans about who is the real 'Pammi Aunty.' Excerpts from the chat:

Your journey to stardom and success has been a long one. Until a few days back, you were known as Shah Rukh Khan's lookalike and now people are going gaga over Pammi Aunty. How does it feel?

Of course, you feel overwhelmed with such kind of response. I know I have worked hard for this and God has been kind. Things are rolling! 

But did you ever feel frustrated, as your struggle was almost a decade longer?

Every actor, once in their lifetime, gets one role which puts them on to different level. I have done TV shows like Sasural Simar Ka or Code Red in the past, but Pammi Aunty got me in a different league as something of this sorts wasn't expected of me, and it unleashed my comedy side. I have had my share of hardships, but no, there hasn't been any frustration. I am enjoying every bit of it. 

You dress as a female in all your videos, any specific reason for the role-reversal? 

(Laughs out loud). Well, let me tell you, I have done comedy as a guy also. But then, everybody's attention came to me when I became a woman! So that proves, that men doing regular comedy acts are not as successful in comparison with guys doing 'women comedy' acts as it gets more attention from people.

So can we say, a Sunil Grover dressed as Gutthi or Gaurav Gera as Chutki are more popular because they impersonate a woman?

Advertisement

(Laughs) So where does a guy go? People force us to do something, and here we are. See, it's not a successful formula, these comic acts have to be content-driven. They have to be healthy and interesting simultaneously. 

Are you implying that men understand women quite well? 

Oh yes! Trust me, it is so because women (characters) are more expressive. See, if I had to be a man, I might think twice, what I have to say or not but I think women has an easy access to say many things. Koi baat nahi ladki hai, this is the most common phrase used in any household. 

Your videos do not support any content which is full of double meaning or has any lewd jokes or remarks. Was this a conscious effort on your part to make family-oriented videos?

Well, I think it's a very important essence - to make family-oriented videos. Comedy was also done at this level before if you see Hrishikesh Mukherjee's movies, like clean comedy, which one could see with their families. It's unfortunate that people think doing double meaning style comedy will get them success. Yes, it does make them popular as there is a market for everything. But I believe comedy should be enjoyed with entire family in tow. There was a time when shows like Ulta Phulta were loved in all households. You can watch Pammi Aunty's shenanigans sitting next to your mom. So for me, I think I have more range than other comedians. 

Why did you choose to play the character of a loud, uncouth Punjabi lady, highlighting the saas-bahu angle? And most importantly, why Pammi Aunty is a Punjabi?

Initially, when I started, I tried doing it in Hindi but even I couldn't laugh at my own jokes, so I switched to Punjabi because of the language's mass appeal. Sabko thodi hi sahi, Punjabi samajh aa jati hai. In Bollywood too, many actors are working in Punjabi cinema. There are friends of mine, who still can't understand the difficult words I use, even my mom also calls me at the time and asks, 'Yeh tune kahan seekha?' But then I have been brought up in a Punjabi household, hence I can connect with my character. And, I think Pammi Aunty is a success because of her getup, and second is the tone she talks in, as most of the Punjabi ladies are like that. They are bindaas, and don't think much - rather say it loud and clear. Also, every house has a Pammi Aunty!

Advertisement

So who is your Pammi Aunty?

I have a lot of Pammi aunties around my house, but that's a different story I can't name them. They will get really offended if they get to know about this. My mom is always on the phone and warning me, "Yeh to tu uske ghar se story le raha hai!Please unka naam na lena." Because of this, my mom has started calling me gossip queen. She is scared because I end up picking nuances from the aunties around me, and I should be careful (Laughs).

You are flooded with compliments these days - from Rishi Kapoor to director Gurinder Chaddha. They say you rekindled the old memories of their maamis, chachis and massis.

(Cuts in between) It's an honour! Thanks to each one of them. Any artist who is flooded with such compliments will feel overwhelmed, like wow!

We heard Pammi Aunty is planning to come on TV. But aren't you scared of the competition from shows like The Kapil Sharma Show?

When I started, I had nothing in my mind. I never planned Pammi Aunty, it just became a rage all of a sudden. So even if Pammi Aunty is not a success, I have nothing to lose. There is no insecurity, because Ssumier is not just Pammi Aunty. Sometimes, we forget the identity of the person. Tomorrow there might be a better character from my end to offer the viewers. There's more to come from me. 

Suddenly, you have a garnered a huge female following? How do you feel about it? 

Now there's a funny thing that I will say. I was not getting much fan following when I was a guy; I'm getting more proposals and fan following when I'm a woman. Imagine... What does it prove? That, women, have become lesbians for the guy-turned-woman who loves to do comedy this way? (Laughs out loud) I think it's for the women to answer what they want their guys to be like! It's completely up to them to answer this one.  

Advertisement

Also, I want to know now, what does a woman want? Do they want a macho-man? Or a guy dressing like a woman? Meri maa ko toh mere liye ab rishte aane shuru hogaye hain. She is like, 'ab haan kardo!' And my answer is, 'Jab main ladka tha, tab itney nahi aatey they. Jabse ladki bana hun, rishton ki line lag gayi hai!" Mujhe toh lagta hai jab main apni shaadi par phere le raha hunga, I will then make a call in Pammi Aunty style and will do 'Hanji Sarla Bhanji, peher ho rahe ne...'(laughs) Because, Pammi Aunty can do anything, even give live updates on (my) wedding. 

Recently, there was a controversy where people didn't like you naming a specific caste and making fun of it in a particular video. What's your take on that?

See, with Pammi Aunty, people often get confused with the identities of Ssumier and Pammi. They think it's me who is passing a comment, but then it's the character who is putting across a point. These videos are a way of putting across the satire of Indian society we are a part of. For eg: women still think their daughter-in-law should be fair-complexioned and thin. While Pammi Aunty is very outspoken about such matters, ladies in real-life, be it in any household, still, comment on such matters. Pammi Aunty is a reflection of a certain section of Indian women and people do talk about these issues, no matter how hard they deny. 

Secondly, Pammi Aunty has no shame. She is like, mere ghar ke andar yeh hona chahiye and is loud and outspoken about it. And that is the truth, which needs to be addressed about openly. See comedy is also a way of putting across a message to the society, and I'm saying it in a funny manner - that's the only difference! I think people have become very insensitive and stopped laughing and enjoying comedy the way it is. I don't know why people have started taking every comic act so personally, they need to understand we are not attacking one specific!  I am a proud Punjabi myself and I will never make fun of anyone categorically, any caste - in any community. People should understand to take life a little lightly. What I don't understand is, they are the same people who enjoy Russell Peters who literally demeans possibly every strata/ section of society. And I find this discrimination very judgemental. 

Advertisement

My next video in Pammi Aunty series is pulling a spoof on Mata ki Chowki and how Delhi residents dress for such an auspicious function, as if they are attending Lakme Fashion Week! Then, I'm working on videos highlighting Gay Rights issue. Hence, it would not be right to say that Pammi Aunty discriminates or targets a specific caste or section!

So what is next after Pammi Aunty? Is her bahu aka MBA(Maha badtameez aurat) the next in line of succession, replacing the character? 

People are asking me to show Pammi & Sarla's faces. But I promise, the day I end Pammi Aunty series, I will reveal their faces. Oh yes, MBA can also be the next one, you never know! (Laughs)

Check out a few videos by Pammi Aunty!

Pammi aunty and London School of Economics part 42 #PammiAunty #punjabiaunty #hayorabba #Sarlabhenji #saasvsbahu #funtimes #horki

A video posted by Ssumier S Pasricha (@ssumier.official) on

Pammi aunty and shadi ka fera revenge....part 41 #pammiaunty #hayorabba #punjabiaunty #Sarlabhenji #motherinlaw

Advertisement

Pammi aunty and Game of Thrones...part 38 #pammiaunty #punjabiaunty #Sarlabhenji #hayorabba #saasvsbahu #motherinlaw #monsterinlaw join me on youtube / snapchat and facebook page...Ssumier S Pasricha #ssumierclicks #ssumierspasricha #horki

About The Author
Ankita Bhalla
Ankita Bhalla
Bollywood Writer

Ankita Bhalla is a Bollywood aficionado with a Master’s in English Journalism from the Indian Institute of

Read more

Advertisement
Credits: pinkvilla

For the latest Bollywood news, Telugu news, entertainment exclusives, gossip, movie reviews, and more, follow the Pinkvilla website and YouTube channel, or head to our social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram!

Top Comments
There are no comments in this article yet. Be first to post one!