Best of 2016: Aishwarya, SRK, Fawad, Diljit, Jim Sarbh - The best supporting acts this year!

NULL
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Share on whatsapp

No film is complete without the support of the actors & actresses, who in a small yet significant part leave a mark with their spectacular performance. In 2016, there were many side acts which impressed us and did a brilliant job. 

Here's a quick recap listing down the actors and actresses who stole the show in the films:

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan - Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

As Saba Khan, Aishwarya was impressive in every frame. Ranbir Kapoor finds solace in the arms of the older, gorgeous, sensuous poetess Saba, who looked like million bucks! Her 15-minute screen presence was the glamorous and boldest character played by the actress till date. 

Shah Rukh Khan – Dear Zindagi

If Jahangir Khan happens to be our life coach like Alia Bhatt's in the film, we too would have fallen for him, totally! Choosing to play a smaller part, SRK's role was like a breath of fresh air - meaningful yet exuding affable charm and not-to-miss, the witty anecdotes about life and it's theories.

Kareena Kapoor Khan – Udta Punjab

In a multi-starrer film, Kareena essayed the role of a doctor named Preet. Her role was brief, someone who fights against the substance abuse among Punjab's youth. Bebo added dignity and maturity to this simple role, shining in her part and making us wanting more! 

Fawad Khan - Kapoor & Sons

Reportedly, many biggies refused to essay the role of a homosexual in the film & eventually, Fawad decided to step in. And the critics as well the fans just couldn’t stop raving about Khan - there's a lot more to this actor than good looks and charm. His performance as the ‘perfect’ son with a hidden revelation, (of him being gay) stands out of the lot. Fawad showed versatility and vulnerability with equal ease.

Shabana Azmi – Neerja

Shabana has many glorious performances to her credit, but her role as Neerja's mother, Rama, repeating a certain Rajesh Khanna line, in times of happiness and grief, got the audience spellbound. Finely tuned with subtle Punjabi accent and tone, Azmi broke the stereotype 'Maa' roles in Hindi films, who took the viewer through their middle-class household of simple hopes, joys, and laughs. 

Diljit Dosanjh – Udta Punjab

The Punjabi superstar made a stellar debut in the film as a soft-spoken police inspector. Teaming up with Kareena to expose the vicious drug racket in the state, Diljit's innocent charm with subtle acting skills were a surprise package for the audience. 

Ratna Pathak Shah – Kapoor & Sons

From a mother who plays favourites between her two sons to the wife who constantly taunts her husband about his lack of ambition/success, and drives him into the arms of another woman; Ratna's character was complex yet convincingly real. 

Rajkummar Rao – Aligarh

Rajkummar essayed the role of the journalist who finds sympathy for Professor Siras (Manoj Bajpayee) as he gets sacked by the Aligarh University for being homosexual. He performed the role with sincerity and sensitivity, lending a certain subtlety to his character. 

Kirti Kulhari - Pink

Kirti's role lived the pain, humiliation and frustration of a woman suffering patriarchy on regular basis. She did complete justice to scenes including that of breaking down in the court. An out-of-the-box and superlative performance. 

Rishi Kapoor – Kapoor & Sons 

Rishi Ji reinvented himself with the character of a 90-year-old grandfather. Undergoing strenuous hours for applying makeup & prosthetics, he essayed the role of a typical dramatic yet chilled out grandfather. And yes, he was indeed the cutest grandad one could ask for! 

Anupam Kher – M.S Dhoni – The Untold Story

Kher played the role of Pan Singh, Dhoni’s father with whom many average middle-class Indian men can relate to. Forever being anxious about his children future, constantly urging them to excel in studies and the insecurity which comes along with such emotions - the veteran portrayed his role with sharp realism. 

Jim Sarbh - Neerja

Jim played the role of a sadist terrorist in Sonam Kapoor starrer Neerja. His role as Khalil petrified the viewers as he carried out an edgy and crazy performance whose only intention was to kill the passengers on board.  

Tabu - Fitoor

Tabu played the role of Katrina Kaif's mother in the film. Her possessive nature towards her daughter due to her sad and dark past is worth a mention. Though the film did not work well at the box-office, Tabu's performance was appreciated by everyone.

Which one was your favourite from the list? Do let us know in the comments below.

Comments

Aishwarya stole the show in ADHM. The best thing about the trash film!

Diljith, Kareena and Fawad were co-leads not supporting characters.

No, Kareena clearly was a supporting role. The film essentially was about the 3 characters. Kareena was a supporting role in Diljit's track.

fawad wasnt a supporting role in kapoor, he was the lead with sid, he even had more screen time than alia

Aishwarya for me. She was so effortless as Saba.

Aishwarya BY FARRRR. It was AS GOOD as Cate Blanchett in Carol, no kidding. And strangely found these two roles every similar. It may seem like a easy role. But playing an alluring woman of mystery and grace is tough, emoting through the silences or having that control over oneself even in the emotional scenes. Ash amazingly embodied the character. I was blown away by how subtle and nuanced Ash was, like that first scene where the demeanour/expressions said it all. And walked away with the film in her final scene, she was so so amazing. That was the only scene in the film where I cried!!! She truly is a director's actor.

I really liked kareena in UP. She is a very natural actress I was very upset that her character died . I think she deserves the award. So I hope they do not over look her kareena has many under rated performances , her performance in talaash was so good that she turned me into a fan , she was good in omkara etc but she never seems to get accolades for it hence probably why she chooses to do commercial roles instead .

Tabu was best in her role.

Tanishta, Surveen, Fawad, Shabana, Diljit, Kareena, Ash, Ratna, Kirti.

Fawad was not the supporting act in kapoor

Hands down Fawad. He was stellar as Rahul. Plus, he pushed the envelope and played a role that so many actors rejected. Really takes guts to essay such a role, esp given he comes form a much more conservative country.

I loved Diljit in Udta Punjab. He was the performance of the movie for me. His honesty and niceness just came through on screen. He was great. Plus, he's so dreamy. I was totes crushing on him after I saw UP.

Cried to Shabana Azmi's eulogy in Neerja. Gave me goosebumps. She deserves all the awards for that scene.

Aish, Shabana, Bebo and Ratna are the top supporting acts this year.

Thanks Ankita for remembering Aishwarya.

Fawad in ADHM!!♥️
I don't know if it's a supporting rule but he did an excellent excellent job.

Am I the only one who can't decide?! They were all so amazing!

I don't like Ash but she was fabulous in ADHM.

Aishwarya and Kareena stand out from the rest. Besides good looks, they both nailed their characters.

Kirti and bebo

What Aishwarya did in ADHM was modelling not acting. There was no emotion except in her last scene which is a cakewalk for any actor. The role was pointless so her performance doesn't count. It was nothing compared to Kareena in UP or Ratna Pathak K&S. Aish won't win any awards unless we take Stardust Awards seriously but I don't see why would anyone do that.

Every critic and audiences have applauded Ash in ADHM, not just for her looks but also for her performance.

I dont understand it.Aishwarya delievered such an awesome Performance in a never seen before avatar but than Again awards will ignore her performance, so sad yaar.

Aish can't act to save her life...so please!!!

So says a fan of overrated Rani, who is having seizures on this post.

They aren't a fan of Rani. They're a troll who is here to create more hate for her.

First of all Fawad was not the support act in the movie and secondly where are Tanishta and Suvreen for Parched?Why the hell the media and all those awards juries keep ignoring actors for that kind of cinema?

Support or main... He wasn't even nominated in Stardust Awards. We know Fawad isn't a terrorist but he needs to fix terrorism in Pakistan just like Amitabh, Akshay, SRK, Amir, Hrthick have fixed human trafficking, female infanticide, dowry deaths, slums and what not.

Rani wud have done Parched better

Fawad was the main lead in K&S.

Love Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani Rani

Rani would have nailed Aish's role in ADHM!!

Rani would have done Neerja & Pink better

Fawad was the lead in kapoor

Loved the whole cast of udta punjab

Diljit kareena shabana jim

of them are good...bt Fawad wasnt a supporting actor nor was Ratna...I feel Amitabh Bachhan had a supportng role in Pink...like Sunny Deol in Damini

Ash fit her role so well!
fawad was lead in k&s, as was ratna maam

Ash stole the show whenever she came on screen in ADHM. I am not even her fan, but can't deny it.

Ratna pathak shah should be the lead for k& S. Alia is supporting.

Fawad was the supporting actor in kns??? Then who was the lead? Sidharth malhotra? Lol

Whoever gets the girl and dance with the girl is the lead. It's so hard to have love marriage in India.

But Fawad was not interested in the girl :D

My two all time favorites - Kareena and Aishwarya. These two are miles ahead of the lead actresses this year.

This is one of the those years when the supporting actors/actresses delivered better performances than lead actors/actresses.

Kareena, Anupam

As much as I love Tabu, Fitoor doesn't deserve a mention anywhere among the best of this year.

I loved bebo and diljeet chemistry

Jim fawad,shabana and kareena

Bebo and kirti

Diljit and kareena were my fave romantic pair for 2016,subtle and sweet

Kareena and aish

Aishwarya was the best

Add new comment