From Kareena and Shahid becoming parents to Hrithik-Kangana's public fallout, here are the Top 20 Newsmakers of 2016!

Updated on Jan 02, 2017 03:35 PM IST  |  1.6M
NULL

The year 2016, has come and gone and Bollywood has given us a year to remember indeed!

From breakups and marriages, from babies to public fallouts - here are the Top Newsmakers of the year:

- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcome a baby boy named Taimur Ali Khan

When Saif Ali Khan announced that his wife and actor Kareena Kapoor Khan was pregnant for the first time, fans went into a frenzy. Kareena, in turn, managed to slay her pregnancy style and on December 20, 2016 the couple welcomed a baby boy - Taimur Ali Khan who immediately became the topic of discussion because of his name. Unlike Kareena's ex- Shahid Kapoor, we got a glimpse of Taimur in the same week of his birth.

- Hrithik Roshan and Kangana Ranaut's public fallout

The fight of the decade goes to the dirty public fallout between Kangana Ranaut and Hrithik Roshan which stemmed from Kangana's quote of calling him a 'silly ex'. What transpired were leaked emails and dirty laundry out in the public's view and it continues even today.

- Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif break up

One of the most infamous breakups of 2016 goes to the one of Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif. It was exclusively revealed by Pinkvilla that the couple who had dated for 6 years and were even living together had decided to call it quits.

- Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput welcome a baby girl named Misha Kapoor

Shahid Kapoor had very happily proclaimed during a press conference for Udta Punjab that, "Haan! Main baap bane wala hoon." Shahid and his wife Mira Rajput welcomed a baby girl - Misha Kapoor on 26th August, 2016. We are yet to see the baby pictures.

- Ban on Pakistani Artists

The Uri Attacks triggered the ban on Pakistani artists like Fawad Khan, Mahira Khan and Ali Zafar who had their releases - Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Raees and Dear Zindagi. The MNS threatened for the ban to take place and Indian Motion Picture Producers' Association (IMPPA) put a stamp on the ban.

- Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil v/s Ajay Devgn's Shivaay

The infamous Diwali clash of the titans took place when Karan Johar was pitted against Ajay Devgn with their respective films - Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and Shivaay releasing on Diwali. From Kamaal R Khan being accused of taking 25 lakh from Karan Johar for belittling Shivaay to Fawad Khan's presence in ADHM - this clash was the one to remember, indeed!

- Salman Khan's infamous 'Rape' comment

"When I used to walk out of the ring, it was actually like a raped woman walking out. I couldn’t walk straight. I would eat and then, head right back to training. That couldn’t stop." 

And the rest is history.

- Udta Punjab controversy

The controversy arose when CBFC demanded 94 cuts in the movie that created an uproar in the country. Ultimately the movie was passed with just one cut. The movie was appreciated for its content and sub-par performances.

- Priyanka Chopra's Oscar look

Priyanka looked like a Goddess at the Oscars, in a sheer white beaded and embellished gown by Zuhair Murad. Her white strapless sweetheart neckline gown with a metal band was styled with a low ponytail, drop earrings and a red lip. She perfected the look and how!

Her look was one of the most Google searched attires at the Oscars.

- The big Hollywood debut: Priyanka Chopra (Baywatch) v/s Deepika Padukone (xXx: The Return of Xander Cage)

Priyanka Chopra has already made her presence felt in the US with her TV Show Quantico and will be making her big Hollywood debut opposite Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Zac Efron in Baywatch.

Deepika Padukone, on the other hand, will be making her big Hollywood debut opposite Vin Diesel in xXx: The Return of Xander Cage. The fact that both PeeCee and DP will be debuting in Hollywood in the same year served as fodder for news for months in 2016.

- Sanjay Dutt is out of jail

Sanjay Dutt had to serve a 42-months jail term because of his involvement in 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts. He was finally released on February 25, 2016 much to the happiness of his family, fans and loved ones.

“There is no easy walk to freedom, my friends. Unke (fans) support ki wajah se main yahaan hoon," was Sanjay's first reaction on being released from jail.

- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's sexy and hot avatar in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

When the trailer of Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil came out, fans were mesmerised by Aishwarya's sexy avatar and her onscreen chemistry with Ranbir Kapoor was hotness personified. Although she was in the movie for just the second half, her take as Shayra Saba was appreciated by critics and fans alike. There were also rumours that the Bachchan family were not really happy with her role in the movie, which also saw the reunion of Aishwarya and Shah Rukh Khan.

- Salman Khan and Iulia Vantur's marriage rumours

Salman Khan's marriage will always be a trending topic as fans await for their favourite Bhai to get married and settle down. Rumours of Salman marrying Iulia Vantur on November 18, this year were flying around. But now that the date is come and gone, speculations are still rife on whether Sallu Bhai will ever marry.

- Padmavati casting

Months and months of wondering and thinking was what it was in regards to the casting of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's magnum opus - Padmavati. Finally, it was announced that Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor would be a part of the movie and currently are busy shooting for it.

- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover's star-studded wedding

Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover got married on April 30, 2016. The who's who of Bollywood were present to celebrate their union during the reception. Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan walked hand in hand and even posed with the newly married couple. Also, present at the reception were Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Riteish Deshmukh with Genelia D'Souza Deshmukh and more.

- Ranbir's candid interview with Rajeev Masand on his break-up with Katrina Kaif

"Whatever I said, it is misconstrued. My personal life is dear to me and my relationship with Katrina, it is or was very special. After my parents, Katrina is the most inspirational entity in my life. I hold her very dear. There is nothing more to talk about it."

Ranbir got extremely candid in an interview with Rajeev Masand and opened up on his private life and spoke primarily about Katrina Kaif.

- Ranbir Kapoor and Ranveer Singh on Koffee With Karan

When news broke out that Ranbir Kapoor and Ranveer Singh would be gracing Karan's couch on Koffee With Karan, fans went berserk. The episode was definitely a hilarious one; from Ranbir and Ranveer nailing Katrina Kaif's hook step from the song Chikni Chameli in Agneepath to Ranbir wishing that Ranveer and Deepika Padukone make lovely babies.

- Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor Khan catch up at an award show talking about Misha and Bebo's pregnancy

At an award show, the then pregnant Kareena Kapoor Khan met her ex- Shahid Kapoor and the two spoke amicably about his daughter Misha and Kareena's to-be baby.

- Shah Rukh Khan's family picture with Gauri Khan, Aryan Khan, Suhana Khan and AbRam Khan

Leave it to SRK to break the Internet and how!

In a picture for a photoshoot, the entire Khan family (Shah Rukh Khan, Gauri Khan, Aryan Khan, Suhana Khan, AbRam Khan) posed for an adorable family photo and gave us all the feels. 

- Kajol and Karan Johar's fallout

Karan Johar and Kajol were the ultimate BFF's with KJo even referring to Kajol as his lucky charm. But the Ae Dil Hai Mushkil v/s Shivaay clash which pitted Karan against Kajol's husband and actor Ajay Devgn led to their friendship fallout. 

"Even Kajol’s equation is not as warm as it was. It is a personal issue... not due to any professional thing. It’s a personal hurtful feeling. It has nothing to do with the clash," Ajay had stated during an interview.

There you have it! These were our Top Newsmakers of the Year? What did you guys think of the roller coaster ride that was 2016. Let us know in the comments below.

Advertisement

For the latest Bollywood news, Telugu news, entertainment exclusives, gossip, movie reviews, and more, follow the Pinkvilla website and YouTube channel, or head to our social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram!

Top Comments
There are no comments in this article yet. Be first to post one!