15 years of classic Devdas: Here's how Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Madhuri Dixit prepped for the film

Updated on Jul 13, 2017 05:45 PM IST  |  8M

Discussion,shah rukh khan,Madhuri Dixit,Aishwarya Rai Bachchan,Devdas,15 years of devdas
Advertisement

It's been 15 years since Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Devdas starring Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Madhuri Dixit-Nene released and the sheer cinematic brilliance of the movie continues to resonate with the fans. Shot grandeur, the movie's poetic dialogues, and heart-wrenching storyline tug at the heartstrings even today. 

Based on the 1917 Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay novel Devdas, the love saga revolves around Devdas Mukherjee (SRK), who turns to alcohol after his family forbids him from marrying Paro, (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) and finds refuge with a prostitute Chandramukhi (Madhuri Dixit Nene). 

Even as the love saga turns 15, its memories are fresh in our minds. 

Ever wondered, what went into making this cult movie? Well, these behind-the-scenes pictures from the set are a testimony to the chemistry between SLB and his lead actors.

Here's a look at some rare behind-the-scenes pictures from Devdas's sets. 

1. Remember the iconic scene when Chandramukhi playfully splashes water on Devdas? Here is SLB directing the two.

1_54

2. That epic confession by Dev to Chandramukhi.

2_437

3. Chandramukhi slaps Kali Babu post her dancing stint with Paro. Here is Madhuri and Miling Gunaji just before that shot. 

4_301

4. SLB and Shah Rukh discussing the climax scene. 

5_258

5. Madhuri and Aishwarya listening to SLB intently as he directs them for one of the most epic scene - the confrontation scene!

6_223

6. The ever-graceful Madhuri Dixit rehearsing with Guru Birju Maharaj.

7_204

7. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan doing touch-up as she shot for Dola Re song.

8_194

8. Paro, Kali Babu, Chandramukhi on the sets of Devdas. The trio is dressed for the Dola Re sequence. 

9_216

Advertisement

Comments
Anonymous : Outstanding Film starring Outsanding Madhuri Dixit. She was the Best
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : My all time favourite film. When I was at university and had no plans for the day, other than chores around my flat, I would watch this three times in a day. Even my English and European friends have watched it with me and know how much I love it. I will never forget how I was watching it with my friend, Narinder, one time, and our Greek friend, Georgious, walked into the room, and upon walking into the room was instantly fixated to the screen and mesmerised by Shah Rukh Khan in this particular scene. He could not describe in English what the fascination was to him, as someone who didn't understand the language, but I knew it was screen presence and charisma. Oh, I do miss the days when SRK was true to the art form and not just the wealth and the overhype. I'm hoping and suspecting his recent offering is going to be that way, the old way, insha'Allah! :-) Oh, what a wonderful film: SLB's magnus opus.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Rani was the original choice for this movie...Aish ruined this classic
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : How on earth did sanjay leela bhansali thought of working with talentless wooden piece like deepika after madhuri ,rani and aishwariya.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : hahahaa.. jabardasti ki hit... tickets were being sold for more than ₹2000.....
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : 1. Madhuri Slapping milind 2. Madhuri breaking mirror with her hair (entry scene ) 3. Aish Madhuri confrontation 4. Climax scene 5. Madhuri in kahe chhed wearing that 30 kg lahenga 6. Madhuri in maar daala ..Again her confidence over her art 7. Madhuri seeing death in eyes of Srk ..preclimax 8. Madhuri in that black lahenga in chhalak chhalak ..Sheer magic Uff I m obsessed with Madhuri ..What an actor !
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Devdas was actual masterpiece. for me i dont find BAjirao Mastani as half as good as Devdas. Both Aishwarya , Madhuri were great actors with lots of expressions when they dance. Deepika is really lack of the traditional indian feminine beauty & grace when Dancing. wish Padmavathi to be much better one than Bajirao.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Seemed only madhuri and shahrukh had prepped for their roles. Aishwariya's drawback as an actress was compensated by her beauty
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Devdas was one of the best movies I have seen. It was superb...I would love to see a remake with Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika playing Devdas and Paro. Aditya Roy Kapur in the role that Jackie Shroff played. However, who would play Chandarmukhi? Tabu?
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Madhuri was the best thing about this movie.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Iconic film and that scene with Madhuri slapping Milind Gunaji is epic. I was only 12 but it made me cheer for her in the cinema. Such a powerful scene. Ash and Madhuri both looked beautiful.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Loved SRK and Madhuri. Aish was ok in this movie
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Most boring and overrated film ever made.. Except Aishwarya and Madhuri nothing else is great about this movie, not even SRK
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : I am sure u think BM was a masterpiece.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : I can list a thousand films from Bollywood and Hollywood, more overrated than this film.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : I love Madhuri !
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Ugh...this movie was so beautiful...and the cast of the girls was just perfect.....madhuri and aish were stunning..you didn't know which one to look at when both were in scenes together.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : the most fav ever and will be forever
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Love this movie. 100 times better than BM.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : No comparison at all. Devdas was superb as the actors breathed life into it whereas in BM, Mastani was plain wooden.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Please don't remind us of the zombie Mastani.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Love this movie. 100 times better than BM.
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : Three superstars in a masterpiece.!
REPLY 0 4 years ago
Anonymous : One of the best films ever in Bollywood.
REPLY 0 4 years ago