Ban Culture: Sadak 2 to Laxmii, how mindless banning of films, web shows is the new cool

One cannot look away from the fact that calling for a ban on films has almost become a trend of sorts. If it's not nepotism, netizens have found various facets of a film to pick on.
Ban Culture: Sadak 2 to Laxmii, how mindless banning of films, web shows is the new cool. Ban Culture: Sadak 2 to Laxmii, how mindless banning of films, web shows is the new cool.
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Share on whatsapp

Bollywood and controversies has often gone hand in hand and over the years we've seen some major controversies being raked up. From celebrity disagreements to personal enmities being played out on social media, the film industry has witnessed its fair share of drama. However, in the last few months, these controversies have taken a different turn and the film industry has seen an unrest like no other. This unrest slowly began after the sudden demise of actor Sushant Singh Rajput and continues to take place even today in different forms. 

While actors and actresses from filmy families have faced backlash like never before and have been accused of using nepotism to their advantage, on the other hand their films, too, have suffered a similar fate. Given the nation-wide lockdown, producers and filmmaker opted for the OTT route and scores of films released on various streaming platforms.  

However, all these films at some point faced a ban call out on social media from netizens for different reasons. A few such films were Sadak 2, Khaali Peeli, Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl and the most recent one being Laxmmi. One cannot look away from the fact that calling for a ban on films has almost become a trend of sorts. If it's not nepotism, netizens have found various facets of a film to pick on. 

From calling for a ban due to the film's lead cast to characters in the movie, a section of netizens have picked on the most trivial reasons in the last few months. In fact, Alia Bhatt's Sadak 2 trailer was heavily criticised by a section of social media users and in a bid to make it the most disliked trailer, it also ended up making it to YouTube's top trends list. 

On Thursday morning, several netizens accused Akshay Kumar and Kiara Advani's film Laxmmi of promoting 'love jihad' and hurting religious sentiments. 

Many on Twitter claimed how the lead male character is featured as a Muslim, the girl a Hindu and the film is directed by Raghava Lawrence - a catholic. Not just films, the recently released web series Mirzapur 2 also started trending on Twitter after a section of netizens called for its ban because of actor Ali Fazal's protest against the CAA movement. And the biggest highlight of this 'cancel culture' was the Tanishq commercial which tried to put across the message of religious harmony in the most respectable manner. 

India's ban culture on social media has reached worrying proportions in the last few months. Is it important to pay heed or should filmmakers go about their business? Well, there's no definite answer to that but can there be a rule on mindless banning of films and shows? Quite hopeful but let's be optimistic, we say!

What are your thoughts on the same? Let us know in the comments below. 

ALSO READ: With Matrix 4 and Citadel, has Priyanka Chopra Jonas finally spread her wings in Hollywood?

Anonymous 7 months ago

The only films that should be banned are the ones with super zero talent Nibbi Ananya Panday. They are an insult to human intelligence and human civilization. #BanAnanyaPanday

Anonymous 7 months ago

Do you get the difference between ban and boycott. As consumers, don't we have a choice of not watching a movie that abuses our community? Where is the ban?

Anonymous 7 months ago

I can't figure out what is going on in the minds of netizens. They are thinking that the whole industry is the cause for the death of a womanizer and druggie. Boycotting actors and so on. Crazy Indians fuck off you. I am from US and they are far more better than you.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Shakur basti se aage gaya hai kabhi?

Anonymous 7 months ago

When u only target a particular community the it is mindful....when u receive some part of it from them it is mindless.....wow...and then u call them intolerant....then welcome to the new norm of mindlessness....

Anonymous 7 months ago

What target? Kisi ladki ka Naam laxmi nahi hota kya?

Anonymous 7 months ago

Why is it mindless to ban movies. We are paying to watch them. We have the choice not to. It is as simple as that.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Hagna stop commenting na..

Anonymous 7 months ago

I am an insider. Stop maligning our Bollywood. It is not a criminal place. We are getting over Sexism and nepotism isn't bad if the star kid is talented and only talented star kids are getting opportunities others are disappeared or flopped. And we have a lot of people as stars and super stars who have no film background (only bcz of talent). Only a few ppl do drugs in the industry and I can name them. In the 90s under world used to threaten film makers and used to do fixing on films like match fixing and NO funding and bcz the cinema was bcming successful and the Dons became interested but this don thing has been stopped since mid 2000s. Also the casting couch thing.. Casting couch is done by ppl who are not directly connected to industry or are not regular ppl of Bollywood. Molestation is common every where even at homes of common ppl but we are also getting over it. And Bollywood doesn't mean to disrespect any religion we believe in respecting all religion. And there is no bullying only lil bit leg pulling which is not objectionable at all. So plz read what I wrote and stop maligning bollywood for god's sake. Thank you. I am not an actor or PR or bot but I am real insider. Plz trust me..

Anonymous 7 months ago

Yess Ananya is talented. Kareena is a super star. Flops ki to baat Mt kro bcz kangana is giving flops since 5 yrs.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Talented?? Like Ananya? And what about Kareena? Most of her films were flops. And yet she got offers? How fair is that? Why do you take the movie watching public for granted?

Anonymous 7 months ago

Just give one Bollywood movie name who can movie like the Martian , Oblivion , avengers ,star wars , interstellar .if we Indian peoples are getting chance to watch these type of movies ,why should we go for Bollywood movies .if I have getting platinum why should I go for bronze .

Anonymous 7 months ago

Way to support your country dude!!?? Platinum? LOL...silly, stupid, 16 year old pap movies.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Mindless people find everything mindless

Anonymous 7 months ago

Unfortunately these people are shedding a very poor light on India. They come across as a bunch of bigoted, unenlightened morons...intelligent discourse has gone the way of the dodo.

Anonymous 7 months ago

How can you call it 'mindless ban'....? Who gave you the authority to define it....?? How much do you know about this industry....??? If you want to fathom/announce the depth of the water, you need to jump in to it. Do not give your verdict Just by sitting out side there. I have spent 15 years in this industry and seen it 'very closely' under what type of circumstances one has to go through to get an assignment. Irrespective of gender.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Aamir Khan said it right... India is really really really really really really really really intolerant.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Prove that India is TOLERANT..

Anonymous 7 months ago

Thats why he is looking for house in Turkey

Anonymous 7 months ago

People are angry because Bollywood has been a place for Few families to make money thru people like us without having to work too hard. Its instant name and fame. It is also true the BIGGIES of bollywood do not want outsider to come in and eat their pie. That is the reason what they have paid journalist who make them look so fancy. Like if you agree.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Ppl r traumatise bcz of so many deaths and pandemic so they're doing these stupid things. Bollywood is good. Bollywood is great. If u don't want to acknowledge it is ur call. But Bollywood is best and it is fact.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Common man wants entertainment. No need for politics . And nothing wrong in inter religious marriages. Uneducated people can have got a voice now. Doesn't mean it's right.

Anonymous 7 months ago

You keep your filthy mouth shut, what entertainment you are taking about the remakes or those meaningless songs

Anonymous 7 months ago

Good to see people finally waking up

Anonymous 7 months ago

It’s sure is an awakening. We deserve better entertainment. We need real talent. In Hollywood biggest stars have to go through auditions to deserve a movie. That’s exactly why we are unable to achieve quality. U cannot make the same formula movies since 80s .except the fancy clothes & gym bodies nothings has changed since 3 decades now. Regional movies have taken huge leaps but Bollywood continues to churn rubbish

Anonymous 7 months ago

This is not waking up. This is becoming DUMB

Anonymous 7 months ago

it’s not cool okay someone was KILLED! And all these so called stars did nothing, said nothing and put all these devious tactics in place to try and turn him into a demon. so no it’s not a “new cool” it’s a revolution! we are entering a new world

Anonymous 7 months ago

SRRis being killed and showed as sucide

Anonymous 7 months ago

there video footage and PROOF mate so called "insider" now all these stars are wishing each other "happy birthday" in solidarity when they know the industry played a role in his death! OKAY! stop defending them like they care about you

Anonymous 7 months ago

So how u knw that how they treated him? U and many other people are just making guess and cooking stories bcz Bollywood Ka gossip (Kachra) bhi bikta hai.. I know all ANDAR KI BAAT of Bollywood bcz I am a Bollywood encyclopedia and very much insider but not PR or anything like that.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Actually if he was murdered then bollywood would be less involved as someone would have killed him for some personal reasons but if he did suicide than bollywood is fully involved because of all this nepotism and bullying

Anonymous 7 months ago

How would you know Bollywood isn't responsible??? How do you know how they treated him behind closed doors or many actually bothered to reach out???

Anonymous 7 months ago

Revolution my foot. This is dumb thing. SSR was killed by himself. Stop blaming Bollywood.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Ohh Hagna bot shut up.. Sushant killed himself. And Bollywood is not responsible.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Still I haven't watched a single bollywood movie for two to three years and I don't regret that

Anonymous 7 months ago

height of stupidity

Anonymous 7 months ago

Public ke paison se aaj yeh mukam tak pahuche hai aur apno aap ko bollywood ka king queen baadshah shahenshah sochte hai..saalo ko charbi jam gayi hai jyada. Aukat mey wapas lana parega in logo ko..sadak hai in logo ki aukat.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Ameer honge but characterless, just 2-3% bollywood lovers are defending them and the rest of the world don't spit on them

Anonymous 7 months ago

Phir b tumse ameer hain wo log.

Anonymous 7 months ago

Seriously.. What the hell is this new boycotting culture. Utter stupid.

Anonymous 7 months ago

It's not the new cool its the anger of common people and we will make sure all these so called self proclaimed stars are brought back to earth

Anonymous 7 months ago

Tu hain kaun be in ko sabak sikhane wale ? Bhaag!! Vella public. Hagna paid Bots

Anonymous 7 months ago

If they didn't do wrong ? Who is decided who is wrong or right ? R we right to decide abt others. If movie is good people will watch. They acted they got the money they sold it in OTT platform people who like to watch will watch. Who don't want to watch don't watch rather than asking others not to watch without even watching the film

Anonymous 7 months ago

Never seen this much tolerant ppl