Katrina Kaif to play India's first female superhero, but are Indians ready for its very own Wonder Woman?

We love the fact that finally Bollywood is recognising the need for a female superhero film, but are we ready for the same? Read on to know more.
Discussion,Katrina Kaif,ali abaas zafar,ThappadKatrina Kaif to play India's first female superhero, but are Indians ready for its very own Wonder Woman?
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Share on whatsapp

The Indian film industry, over the years, has seen the role of the quintessential Bollywood heroine change drastically. From being typecast to actresses now shouldering films, the scenario has undergone a massive change and a great one at that. This treatment of Bollywood heroines has not only been hidden but loud and clear on the surface. Did you know that before signing 1989 film Toofan, Meenakshi Seshadri was told that 'heroines are just like decorative showpieces'. 

In an interview, Meenakshi had said, "I have done three films with Mr. Amitabh. Shehanshah, Ganga Jamuna Sarswati and Toofan. In Toofan, he (Big B) had a double role. Mr Mann had already told me that heroines are just like decorative showpieces. He clearly told me in the beginning. But I was impressed with his honesty and I said yes (for the film)." This statement clearly indicates how far Bollywood has come since those days when actresses were cast only as eye candy in films.

Recently, director Ali Abbas Zafar confirmed that he will soon start working on a female superhero film with Katrina Kaif in the lead. Yes, if you have been living under a rock, let us tell you that Ali will start working on the film post lockdown. "There’s a lot of prep required because of the kind of action involved and I am in touch with an international team over video calls. I’m also doing script readings with my actors and chatting with the production designer. There is a lot happening," Ali had told Mumbai Mirror. While the news was welcomed by many Katrina Kaif fans, it made us think about one poignant question.  

Are Indian audiences ready for a female superhero films?

Don't get us wrong, we love the fact that finally Bollywood is recognising the need for a female superhero film after giving us superheros like Hrithik Roshan as Krrish and Tiger Shroff as Flying Jatt. We can also totally imagine Katrina Kaif donning a great suit and rescuing the world.

However, the Indian audiences have not always been receptive to films that are mainly led by female actors. Not too long ago, in January 2020, two films headed by Bollywood's leading ladies hit the theatres. One was Deepika Padukone's Chhapaak and the other was Kangana Ranaut's Panga. Chhapaak brought the country's attention to the subject of acid attacks. However, the response was far from Deepika's blockbuster successes.

Panga, a film which revolves around a mother's love for Kabbadi, also failed to garner traction. Starring talented stars like Kangana, Neena Gupta and Richa Chadha who have time and again impressed us with their work did not exactly ring a bell with the audiences. Not to forget, both the films were also directed by female directors Meghana Gulzar and Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari respectively. We are not saying these films had the potential to become blockbusters and failed, they probably lacked in various departments, but also did not get the required attention. 

Another such accurate example was Taapsee Pannu's Thappad which opened to positive reviews from critics. Directed by Anubhav Sinha, Thappad was a mirror reflection of society brilliantly essayed by Taapsee in the lead role. Despite a brilliant script, fine performances and a message subtly played out, Thappad barely managed to touch the Rs 40 crore mark at the box office. 

No doubt that Ali Abbas Zafar will be going all out with his superhero film. A massive budget, large scale production and elaborate shooting locations won't be a surprise, but are we really ready to see a female Bollywood star doing stunts like never before or will it be another Thappad? 

Tell us your thoughts in the comments below. 

ALSO READ: EXCLUSIVE: Katrina Kaif's superheroine project with Ali Abbas Zafar to be made on THIS budget!

Anonymous 2 months ago

I won't mention any names, but there are so many boxers that are 'skilled'. As they age, they feel as though they can still bounce in the ring like they used to. Bollywood Actresses have this same problem.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Katrina is good to look at but she doesn’t have the power to shoulder that kind of movie.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Panga was good on paper but it does not have any entertainment quotient and that was the reason it bombed at the BO. It wad a well made movie for critics, but for aam janta, it was a boring movie. The first 15 mins was the only part i enjoyed.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Hope they dont make her dance in item number in the film

Anonymous 4 months ago

I would love it if this movie was amazing compared to all the other terrible male superhero movies. Stop trying to make superheroes happen, India. Superhero movies have to be BASED on something. If I just spontaneously wrote a movie about a dude who got bit by a spider and got spider powers, it would be terrible. It's BASED ON a comic that has existed for years, that's why it doesn't sound silly. Bhavesh Joshi was a good movie because he had no super powers. That Tiger movie and Krrish are terrible, and god Ra. One was the worst.

Anonymous 4 months ago

She is not an Indian, so we are not ready. She is here to make money and settle down with some rich munda.

Anonymous 4 months ago

After RaOne, Agent Vinod, Mangal Pandey, Kickk and Kkrish 3 ab Katrina ki baari hai

Anonymous 4 months ago

Yes Kat, we are all ready for it

Anonymous 4 months ago

Kat is apt for the role. No one can do better than her in action roles. Also she’s got the perfect body for it

Anonymous 4 months ago

Don't know about others but I am ready for super heroin movie It's time for girls to do it

Anonymous 4 months ago

Katrina is simply awesome as an action heroine and her stunts are marvellous. I am sure she will do pretty good.

Anonymous 4 months ago

fakrina`s pr is on full swing. 41 years old botox queen cant even act 5 minutes and dreaming for a women-oriented movie. she is nothing but a ieam girl actress.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Just don't write fake things here she is not 41 she is only 36-37 yr old just that u u don't like her u can't blab anything kk

Anonymous 4 months ago

Ugly shortie snake alia who are young but so ugly that no young guy is ready to date you so you are dating an old ranbir uncle. Look when Katrina was young she dated young ranbir who was of her age but look at you poor you dating 12 years old uncle meanwhile Katrina is still dating a young guy.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Katrina is obviously well suited and with the fit body she is going to rock it

Anonymous 4 months ago

Katrina is the best action heroine in the Bollywood.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Proud of you Katrina and Ali for bringing a never done genre in Bollywood. Even films starring men as superhero has failed so it's very gutsy of you guys. All the best.

Anonymous 4 months ago

It's possible that this movie will never hit the floors. Personally I feel that Katrina should venture into off-beat cinema first to prove herself more as an actor before doing a superhero film. The indian audience might not even be ready yet for an indian female superhero. I just hope that Ali writes something riveting and a unique superhero and storyline that isn't hammy and cartoonish.

Anonymous 4 months ago

your idea is good but she is not an actor

Anonymous 4 months ago

Katrina don't have that much time to waste anymore. And btw a film superhero film is an off beat for Bollywood. She has already done off beat films in past like phantom, jagga, fitoor and Baar Baar Dekho. She recently got praised for zero and Bharat so it's the best time for her to become a superhero.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Kat is perfect for the role as long as there is a good story. I am amused at haters who have no hesitation in internalizing men's saviour complex in marvel and dc films but as soon as it is about women, they need to prove acting skills and "strength". Male gender is not the default that woman has to measure up to in order to qualify as equal!! Thor is the most ridiculous thing ever and aquaman. None of these "superhero actors" can do a successful film in any other genre. For that you need to know acting that goes beyond relying on machismo, aggression, abs, narcissism, violence and hyper masculinity.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Queen Katrina doing it again and again dear haters there is more to come just wait and watch the best of Katrina is coming and in a very very big way

Anonymous 4 months ago

Those were small concept films. As Kjo would say 100cr films are "big event films" and their budgets are also big to create a universe to invite the audience in. So far, the biggest problem with superhero and bollywood is that they have failed to conceptualize the "indian environment" for the genre. Vigilantes like batman, spiderman can go into nooks and cronies but wonder woman, marvel and dc franchises have a universe of their own. Bollywood has failed to conceptualized that space with Ra1 or whatever tiger did with that mediocre superhero film. The same problem is with animation. Technology is not what we lack, it is lack of imagination and risk aversion. Just having abs does not make a superhero film.

Anonymous 4 months ago

This will never ever will happen. Fakrina and her super active PR. If at all happens may be 2/3 years later it will be a super duper flop.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Nah Katrina superhero film will be a superhit because nobody is as good as Katrina in action film. Also Ali is a very good director. But I am sure fakebir a d fakealia film flopmastra will be the biggest disaster Bollywood has ever seen lol.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Choose someone who can act. Katrina is beautiful and hot but to do these kind of movies do well on the BO, we need someone who is fierce and powerful actress. I don't think bollywood is ready yet. If just going by the body figure and looks, then take Lisa Haydon.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Lisa Haydon should replace ugly snake shortie alia who don't looks like a heroine at all and her action scenes will more be. Comedy scenes.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Katrina is perfect for being an action heroine between snake alia is playing a superhero in flopmastra. Like she has nothing special about her to become a super hero

Anonymous 4 months ago

I think a big budget film and great CGI will do the trick. People will go see a good movie, not a bad movie. Saaho had good CGI (average CGI in hollywood standards) but a bad bad story thatS why film had lack of bahubhali’s success. Good story is the new HERO!

Anonymous 4 months ago

So this will be floprina's excuse for the movie being a disaster. "India is not ready!"

Anonymous 4 months ago

Well this will be excuse for flopbir and flopalia for their flopmastra.

Anonymous 4 months ago

Who is nepo gang.. Your family??

Anonymous 4 months ago

Sanke alia, Karan aunty, Rayan ( Rk + Ayan)

Anonymous 4 months ago

I hope after this more Indian super heroes & Super heroines will be made. Our own and original. Fingers crossed

Anonymous 4 months ago

I don't believe this film will take off.this is some PR stunt

Anonymous 4 months ago

FLOPMASTRA will be flop despite PR

Anonymous 4 months ago

please don't be jealous don't talk like nepo gang

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement