Throwback Thursday: Taapsee Pannu's four big box office successes that made her the star she is today

Over the years, Taapsee Pannu has been known for picking the right scripts, striking a chord with the audiences and her stellar performances.
Discussion,Taapsee PannuThrowback Thursday: Taapsee Pannu's four big box office successes that made her the star she is today.
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Share on whatsapp

Just like all other industries, the Bollywood film industry also came to a standstill in March 2020 when the nation-wide lockdown was announced. Since then, Bollywood has seen an unrest like no other. From the passing away of legendary actors to the tragic demise of Sushant Singh Rajput, the past few months have given movie buffs, fans and industry folks a series of shocking news. Amidst all of this, there have been raging debates on social media surrounding nepotism and 'real' talent in Bollywood. Some of the celebrities that have been the centre of this discussion include Karan Johar, Kangana Ranaut, Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu, Swara Bhasker among others.  

While this debate on insiders and outsiders continues and occupy prime time slots on television, we decided to take a look at Taapsee Pannu's box office hits since she made her debut in the Hindi film industry in 2013. While it has been only seven years for Taapsee in Bollywood, the actress made quite a mark in Tamil and Telugu cinema before setting her base in Mumbai. Over the years, the actress has been known for picking the right scripts, striking a chord with the audiences and her stellar performances.    

Pink 

The first tattoo trial of Pink. The idea was to find a design which resonates with the situation of Minal. A bird who wants to open her wings and fly. A bird who comes in her own elements by the end of it all. It was a pleasant surprise for me to know that post the film’s release there were many girls who reached out to tattoo artists to get the similar tattoo done on them. I am myself a tattoo loving person provided it’s something that is attached to the person’s personality and not just a random design. I have 2 tattoos on me and had it not been this acting profession I would’ve probably gotten a third one on the nape of my neck by now #Throwback #Archive #QuarantinePost

A post shared by Taapsee Pannu (@taapsee) on

While she began her Bollywood journey with David Dhawan's Chashme Baddoor, Taapsee did not instantly achieve fame and become popular. The actress has to toil her way through before she landed Pink opposite the legendary Amitabh Bachchan. While Big B's performance is the highlight of this film, Taapsee stood out opposite strong performers and cemented her position with an impressive performance. The film wasn't a blockbuster, but was declared a semi-hit and paved the way for Taapsee to bag bigger projects.   

Judwaa 2 

Another David Dhawan directorial, Taapsee in Judwaa 2 took her fans and even the critics by surprise with her sizzling role in the action-comedy. Just before the actress could be stereo-typed as someone who would only opt for socially relevant scripts or serious roles, Taapsee surprised many with her act in Judwaa 2. The film may have not impressed the critics, but was surely a box office success.    

Badla 

Taapsee Pannu reunited with Amitabh Bachchan for Sujoy Ghosh's thriller Badla which was an official adaptation of the 2016 Spanish film The Invisible Guest. The film was made on a meagre budget of Rs 10 crore but its crossed Rs 100 crore at the box office successfully. Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee's onscreen presence was strong and both the actors gave a phenomenal performance leaving the viewer thoroughly impressed with the end result. 

Mission Mangal 

Yes, this wasn't a solo film for Taapsee, but an ensemble cast of talented actors like Vidya Balan, Nithya Menen, Akshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha and Kirti Kulhari among others. The film brought these immensely talented women as scientists under one roof and saw them work together to achieve the Mars Orbiter Mission, India's first interplanetary expedition. Their stories were humble and relatable which is why this film went on to become a huge box office hit crossing Rs 200 crore. 

Apart from these four box office successes, Taapsee also starred in some socially poignant films like Mulk and Thappad being the latest which was widely acclaimed by critics. Taapsee's act in films like Thappad, Saand Ki Aankh and Manmarziyaan among others has been applaud-worthy.

Which is your favourite Taapsee Pannu film or performance? Let us know in the comments below.  

Stay updated with the latest entertainment,fashion and lifestyle news. Get our Newsletter

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Taapsee is such a good Actress....Hrithik and Taapsee would be really good in a movie together!!!

Anonymous 2 months ago

See her songs for her success - pick any movie from the illustrious list Jhummandi Naadam, Vastadu Naa Raju, Veera, daaruvu

Anonymous 2 months ago

judwaaahahahahha . su PV

Anonymous 2 months ago

Starrrr hahahahaha - she & Swara five comfort to anuraag because he is as b grade

Anonymous 2 months ago

Tapsee is a shooting star - phoos long time back

Anonymous 2 months ago

Gasps of failed star - cameo in MM akshay film, badla & pink Amitabh film (which she tried to hijack) & judwaa - she is naming because she wants work from nepo gang :D

Anonymous 2 months ago

She is a good actor but more than that now she is taking advantage of being a chamchaa of movie mafia. That's why all these articles are circulating. All her paid PR

Anonymous 2 months ago

exactly! the rights to take advantage and be a low-life opportunist is only reserved for our drama queen, Kangana!

Anonymous 2 months ago

It’s sad when the debate should be about nepotism , debate Is Tapsee versus Kangana. Actually Tapsee will benefit from it because she has nothing to lose. Actually if Kangana was not so bitter, she would not be compared to Tapsee who is her junior. She is in the industry since 2006

Anonymous 2 months ago

Swara did dirty scenes in veere While kangana played an amazing character like jhansi ki rani! No comparison at all!

Anonymous 2 months ago

Aree why film..in real life she slept with Aditya Pancholi for 3 years..at 17 yrs of age. Rest are only acting..Kangana in real life has done the dirtiest things

Anonymous 2 months ago

oh yeah! you forgot Gangster? she was a side chick for a gangster. that wasnt dirty enough for you?

Anonymous 2 months ago

Hahah she is butt hurt with the b grade comment .. Iyer PR releasing articles to show her as a A lister .keep trying we know the truth .. same acting in every movie

Anonymous 2 months ago

lol so true! our queen opened her gutter of her mouth and threw s#$% on everyone! our queen is so trashy and so cool! luv!

Anonymous 2 months ago

LOL is this joke? Are we sure she is woman?

Anonymous 2 months ago

They are diverting the topic. All what kangana tried to explain is that they deserve more opprtunities snd appreciation but are not getting good films like nepokids. She didnt say they are b grade actresses but the films they get are. Obviously, if you do not get good films you choose the movies you get, although they are filthy...

Anonymous 2 months ago

Kangana cannot say 1 good thing about her contemporaries. Suffice to say she loves tooting her own trumpet and putting everyone down. I would have loved it, if she could have kept this stand for Sushant alone! instead she is dragging everyone in it! only proves her to be a narcissist and an opportunist

Anonymous 2 months ago

Hey tapsee aunty kjo ne movie offer diya kya ?? Itna chamchagiri krne k baad bhi movie nahi mili .Hahahaha.so sad

Anonymous 2 months ago

Kangana ko movie mil gayi? oh sorry, nahi mili isiliye to yeh hungama hai

Anonymous 2 months ago

Star ?? Official chamchi of kjo

Anonymous 2 months ago

who said official chamchi's can't be stars! our drama queen was once a chamchi and so much more of Aditya Pancholi! look at her now, how she shines in all her trash and glory!

Anonymous 2 months ago

Unknowingly, kangu has made me a fan of taapsee cos I watched clips of her previous movies. Taapsee is a fine actress!!

Anonymous 2 months ago

unlike hysteria in all roles like Kangana!

Anonymous 2 months ago

Yes with one expression in all roles

Anonymous 2 months ago

Loved her when she fought in Baby. I did not know who she was then but I just loved her back then.

Anonymous 2 months ago

Acting toh Kangana ka too good. But I don’t like Kangana as a person. Unfortunately how you portray your personal life affects fans opinion too. But except Vidya Balan, I don’t think any mainstream actress can beat Kangana. It’s sad that her focus is so much drama when she could have given us so many other good movies. I don’t know what went wrong with her. Probably Hrithik ... but because of her madness, Tapsee is taking advantage

Anonymous 2 months ago

Yes because she did not have to act so agree she was good .. but acting same wooden expression

Anonymous 2 months ago

Taapse has the support of entire industry while everyone is against Kangana

Anonymous 2 months ago

coz Kangana only knows to toot her own trumpet, does not have 1 good thing to say about her peers. She is a narcissist to the core

Anonymous 2 months ago

That itself needs to be investigated. She is rohini iyer client.

Anonymous 2 months ago

Deepika+Tapsee+Swara+Richa+Sonakshi+Sonam+Ananya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kangana

Anonymous 2 months ago

Are tapsee, what about your last mega blockbuster thappad?? Solo release with much hype, 30 cr business only?

Anonymous 2 months ago

Tapsee Swara & Richa are bigger star & better actress than Kangana

Anonymous 2 months ago

Ok very nice dream go to sleep and enjoy dreams about B lister’s

Anonymous 2 months ago

Lol the joke you are using with mediocrity that’s why ! Kangana is the finest and best actress in Bollywood industry and she proved it others can begin their running! Nobody is better than her !

Anonymous 2 months ago

Looking at all you hypocrites dishing out to another outsider. You people only feel empathy when some one takes their lives or a tragedy hits them. Until then you follow your own narrative. Keep following the negativity Kangana is spreading, instead of mending our ways and supporting talent over pedigree.

Anonymous 2 months ago

Tapsee Swara are trying to divert attention of the ppl from the points raised by Kangana for SSR. It's completely understood now. They are puppets of the suicide gang who are themselves quiet & paying ths actresses to voice against Kangana. I never liked Swara but Tapsee was my favourite but not anymore now. She's sold herself. Pity!!

Anonymous 2 months ago

yes absolutely and your voice really counts! delusional much!

Anonymous 2 months ago

Absolutely.. but who takes them seriously? They r Just puppets ignore them.

Anonymous 2 months ago

she clearly has a wooden expression in all her movies expecially the thappad one. Her chamchi suckup behaviour can be seen very clearly in the promotional interviews of Mission Mangal. So touchy touchy of Akshay

Anonymous 2 months ago

She is karan johar chamcho . Boycott her

Anonymous 2 months ago

So true.She was bland .

Anonymous 2 months ago

Taapsee is a big star

Anonymous 2 months ago

Lol in your dreams

Anonymous 2 months ago

She is not a star.

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement