Here's why we think NCT Hollywood is not a great idea

SM Entertainment is partnering with MGM Television to launch a U.S.-based sub-unit of NCT! Read on to find our take on why it is an unwise idea!
NCT 127 at 2020 ASIA ARTIST AWARDS NCT 127 at 2020 ASIA ARTIST AWARDS (Pic credit - News1)

A couple of days back, SM Entertainment, home to groups like NCT, EXO and SHINee teamed up with MGM Worldwide Television Group to create a K-pop audition program in the United States. The program’s goal is to launch a K-pop boy group that will focus its promotions in the United States. The new sub-unit will be called NCT-Hollywood and the audition program will recruit American males aged between 13 to 25 years of age. The contestants will be tested out in areas of singing, dancing, performance and presentation in a 'boot-style' camp at SM's headquarters in Seoul. The current NCT members will participate as judges and mentors.

Stan twitter launched into a collective meltdown as NCT dominated top Twitter trends! Fans aren't exactly happy with SM Entertainment's plans to launch NCT Hollywood, and their concerns are valid. It is obvious that SM Entertainment is taking this step, considering SuperM members are either busy pursuing solo ventures or are serving in the military. SM Entertainment wants one foot in America and NCT is their best bet. But, we personally believe it is not the wisest decision and here's why.

1. Too many cooks spoil the broth

NCT already has 23 members in their main group and if more members are added it will create unnecessary chaos and commotion. The main leader of NCT is Taeyong, who might have to deal with the extra burden of dealing with new joinees in their team, and frankly, it is unfair to him. Also, as the popular adage goes, too many cooks spoil the broth.

2. Loss of identity

New fans, who are unfamiliar with K-pop are apprehensive about getting into K-pop because they get overwhelmed with the mammoth sizes of K-pop groups. Unlike, western groups which have roughly 4 to 5 members in one team, however, in K-pop it is perfectly normal to have bigger groups. Adding more members to the current NCT will take away from their core identity as an Asian group.

3. Not another Kaachi

NCTzens are worried that SM Entertainment is planning on making NCT into an international K-pop group like Kaachi and rightfully so. Kaachi is a four-member British K-pop girl group that debuted last year in summer 2020. Kaachi has been heavily criticised for cherry-picking the favourable parts of idol training, plagiarism and lack of skills. Adding new members into NCT is unfair to the core NCT members who trained for years to debut in the group.

4. Representation

In a presentation conference, SM Entertainment announced that they were planning to expand NCT across Asia with NCT Thailand, NCT Japan, NCT South East Asia and so on. However, the straight jump to create possibly an all-caucasian group is baffling and ridiculous. Hollywood already has enough representation, they don't need more, and certainly not as a merger with K-pop!

5. Let K-pop be

While we understand the world's fascination with K-pop, audiences forget that it takes years of practice, extensive training, hard work and sacrifices to debut as a K-pop idol! While, there is no problem with companies debuting foreign members in a K-pop group (something like Z-Boys and Z-Girls), creating a group to debut American male artists is unjust! It is important to take K-pop as a whole, instead of conveniently choosing aspects that suit your circumstances.

6. Creativity > Commerce

Elucidating a previously stated point, there is no harm in debuting foreign members, but debut them as a separate group and let the chosen trainees go through the rigours and hardships of K-pop training. It is sad how NCT is used as a tool of experimentation and generating profits, instead of nurturing their current creative strengths.

7. One Asia focus

SM Entertainment should focus on expanding NCT in Asia. Ours is a big continent with enormous untapped potential. It would be nice if they bring NCT Japan, NCT Thailand to fruition and who knows, NCT India someday. We choose that!

Of course, we await more detailed information from this venture and hope for better Asian representation. Stay tuned to Pinkvilla for more updates.

ALSO READ: NCT Hollywood tops Twitter trends as SM Ent partners with MGM Television to launch new US based K Pop group

What are your thoughts on NCT Hollywood? Share your thoughts with Pinkvilla in the comments below.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Tbh if k-pop wants to expand globally as these companies are saying then they will also have to perform with globally diverse members. I don’t see the harm in introducing non-Korean or even non-east Asian or generally non-Asian members as long as they take time to learn the language and speak it as fluently as they are able. Maybe it’s because I’m used to C-Pop, where in China it’s actually seen as a compliment to have non-Chinese or non-Asians take an interest in the music and show business. Generally, foreigners aren’t unwelcome in Chinese industry as long as they are respectful to people and culture, and can communicate effectively. I think the same should go for K-pop if companies really want to expand. I also don’t see anything wrong with Kaachi because members took the time to solely sing and speak in Korean. The only thing I’d like for them to do is actually move to and promote more in Korea because I think it would really legitimize them. I’m probably of a different opinion than my Korean counterparts but I don’t see why non-Asians can’t break into the Korean music industry. It would probably help usher in an era where we see more Indian idols which would be great too, as the image of idols being milky white or muted and solely East Asian. Representation as well as talent and willingness should be more important nowadays, so I’m glad China is embracing that further and I’ll be excited to see if Korea can, as well.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Why is the assumption that it’s going to be white americans? I can bet money on the fact that it will be mostly korean-americans/asian-americans in the group. why does everyone think theyre only gonna cast white people? genuine question

Anonymous 1 month ago

I don't really think they should do it too. NCT is already a large group with 23 members. I think it might be better to create a NEW kpop group with those people from Hollywood but I don't even think that would be Kpop anymore I think it would like Kaachi and get a lot of hate..

Anonymous 1 month ago

US is the biggest music market in revenue so it's natural for SM to place it's foot on that market. Financially it is good idea. But West already has huge representation in global pop culture. K-pop crossover with Western bands is one thing but trying Western K-pop will take away the essence. Also NCT is already too large of a group. Due to cultural difference, I see very few Western candidates going through so many years of training and discipline where the agency controls every aspect of your life. I see less creativity and more profit making motive in this decision. I like K-pop because it is in Asian language that feels fresh and different. If I am interested in English songs, I will search some Western band. Same with Latin songs. Who is exactly the targetted audience for Western K-pop band? I bet most Asians will still stream the bands coming out of South Korea.

Anonymous 1 month ago

Do y'all really think I white kid could go through this training they would most likely drop out plus men in America that are white most of the time don't mature until they are 32-40 because they don't respect anyone or anything

Anonymous 1 month ago

It's better we wait and see what'll happen before jumping to conclusions and decide whether it's good or not after it comes out. Plus the 1st point mentioned in the article isn't really valid as the concept of NCT from the start has been that it's forever expanding and to have infinite members. Since it's SM we're talking about, I'm pretty sure they'll be talented. It'll also take time for the show to start, so hopefully by then SungTaro have a fixed unit as well. It's better we focus on the present comebacks and support them for now ^-^.

Anonymous 1 month ago

As much as I agree, Nct already struggles enough as it is with the groups getting equal comebacks and members getting equal time to show off. The more added, the less time they all get to shine. We already had a number of the boys locked down simply because a number of the others got to shine for months on end.

Anonymous 1 month ago

In my opinion it's okay if they are korean americans, canadian americans, or at least half korean.

Anonymous 1 month ago

i know yall might hate me for saying this, but one reason why I enjoy kpop is because they are korean. nct successfully introduced Japanese, Chinese, and even a thai member, but they shouldn't push it.

Agree

Anonymous 1 month ago

I'm Sri Lankan I'm basically an Asian but I don't have the Asian looks so don't really qualify as a kpop idol same goes to most westerners and Europeans

Anonymous 1 month ago

East Asian to be correct. Everyone use this term Asian look but don't take into account the Asian geography. By intentionally or unintentionally using the word Asian look, we invalidate all other Asian people.

Anonymous 1 month ago

I feel like nct Hollywood is a gift and a curse

I don't think so

Anonymous 1 month ago

If they want kpop to expand that are gonna need more international people

Anonymous 1 month ago

I think nct Hollywood is a good thing and I also think that kpop is just the music you don’t have to Asian to be a kpop idol

Anonymous 1 month ago

In that sense, if the new hollywood unit members are all fluent or somewhat good a speaking and understanding Korean (which as time goes on would improve) it would be okay, would it not? I personally want to see where this will go, but like one of the statements in the article, NCT will most likely have too many members.

Anonymous 1 month ago

But they still need to learn speaking in korean, some members came from the other country but they still need to learn korean culture coz kpop music stans for korean pop music

Anonymous 1 month ago

To be very honest, only Asians should become kpop idols. I'm gonna cringe if I see sum bryce hall looking guy show up

Anonymous 1 month ago

Idk how SM gets so much active in topics like these but keep sleeping when it comes to their artists promotion!

Profit.

Anonymous 1 month ago

Who ever said it would be an all Caucasian group?? I figured it would be Asian Americans or Korean Americans.. is there a reason we’re assuming it won’t be?

Anonymous 1 month ago

Sounding kinda racist bro...

Anonymous 1 month ago

When people say "American" 9/10 times, there refering to those of Caucasian/white Decent. K-Pop is meant for Asian audiences and meant to include those of Asian decent, wether mixed or mot. Having Nct-Hollywood would only bring more stress and dislike for the growth in members.

Anonymous 1 month ago

The entire concept of NCT is to have infinite members...

THANK YOU! someone gets it

Anonymous 1 month ago

It isn’t racist it’s one of many reasons ! NCT already has way too many members

Anonymous 1 month ago

This sounds like you don’t want any Latin, Black, or White members in a KPOP group.

Anonymous 1 month ago

How you say it makes it sound like the opposite to what your saying because k-pop stands for korean pop if you didn't know and its true we don't want any white people in it because their immature they grow up with white families they don't get mature

Anonymous 1 month ago

Unless Asia becomes highly developed with people having lots of money to spend, West is where the revenue is right now.

Anonymous 1 month ago

In my opinion it would be okay if they where korean americans, korean canadian or if they where at least half korean.

Anonymous 1 month ago

Well for me they should just create another group but not literally called nct hollywood... why?... coz there will be a comparison between the old and new nct

Anonymous 1 month ago

Well duh, I have no problem with kpop staying exclusively asian, I mean, it's called kpop for a reason, not pop, and I'm saying this as someone of hispanic descent

It's literally called Kpop, they focus more in Asia

Anonymous 1 month ago

i felt that too , but now that i think of it .. its KPOP , isnt it supposed to have korean people as its artists? but that would be very specific... they can extend it to Asia first but straightway jumping to another part of the globe doesn't feel right.

Anonymous 1 month ago

I don’t want nct Hollywood :( anyone else feel the same??

Yes, u know I'm not gonna Stan them cuz we already have nct 2020

Anonymous 1 month ago

I kinda agree.. I really don't like the feeling