After Big Hit Entertainment, SM Entertainment, Fantagio and Pledis Entertainment issued statements on behalf of Jungkook, Jaehyun, Cha Eunwoo and Mingyu, ASTRO's Cha Eunwoo, NCT’s Jaehyun pen apologies for Itaewon outing.
ASTRO's Cha Eunwoo, NCT’s Jaehyun pen apologies for Itaewon outing a day after Big Hit apologises for JungkookASTRO's Cha Eunwoo, NCT’s Jaehyun pen apologies for Itaewon outing a day after Big Hit apologises for Jungkook

Several South Korean pop singers, including BTS singer Jungkook, have come under fire after reports revealed the pop idols were spotted in Itaewon a few weeks ago. JK along with ASTRO singer Cha Eunwoo, NCT member Jaehyun and SEVENTEEN‘s Mingyu were spotted enjoying a night out in the neighborhood of Itaewon, which became the hotspot for the recent resurgence of the coronavirus in South Korea. While Big Hit Entertainment, SM Entertainment, Fantagio and Pledis Entertainment issued statements on behalf of Jungkook, Jaehyun, Cha Eunwoo and Mingyu.

Now, Cha Eunwoo penned a handwritten apology, reacting to the Itaewon controversy. The singer took to social media and shared his apology note. As translated by Koreaboo, his note reads, "Hello, this is Cha Eunwoo. First of all, I would like to apologize to everyone who may have been disappointed by my poor actions. Even now, there are many medical workers and Koreans still working hard to attempt to overcome the Coronavirus pandemic in Korea. I am reflecting on my actions for going to a restaurant and bar in Itaewon with my friends, not following social distancing recommendations even though I also participated in the “Thanks To You Challenge”."

"I am sincerely sorry for disappointing my fans who have believed in me and support me, and sincerely sorry to the many people who have watched over me until now. I am also very sorry to my members, agency staff, and the many people around me. I will work harder to become a person who thinks and acts more carefully, in order to repay all of the precious love I have received. Once again, I would like to apologize for worrying many people," he added.

The handwritten apology came after Fantagio issued a statement on the singer's behalf. The statement read, "Cha Eunwoo did not visit the venue that the first confirmed case in Itaewon was in early May. We also received a response from the Korean Center for Disease Control that if he had no symptoms, the test for Coronavirus would not be required. However, for the health and safety of the artists and people around him, Cha Eunwoo got tested and received a negative test result. Regardless of the reasons, it was unwise for Cha Eunwoo, our artist, to visit Itaewon at a time where Koreans are practicing social distancing. He deeply regrets that he has not made a sincere effort to keep his social distance from others."

NCT’s Jaehyun also reached out to his fans and apologised for the controversy. He wrote, "Hello this is Jaehyun. I am truly sorry for hurting many people through my actions during this hard time. I am reflecting on my actions of going to a bar and a restaurant in Itaewon during the recommended social distancing period."

SM Entertainment previously addressed the controversy and said, "Jaehyun had no symptoms, but as Coronavirus started to spread due to the Itaewon club, he voluntarily underwent a test for Coronavirus and tested negative. Jaehyun is deeply reflecting on how he was not careful during the period where everyone was supposed to refrain from regular meetings and keep social distance instead."

Meanwhile, BTS' agency Big Hit Entertainment issued a statement reacting to Jungkook's Itaewon visit. The Korean entertainment management company wrote, "It is true Jungkook visited Itaewon. However, at the time of his visit, he did not go to the same venue that had the confirmed case in early May. He went about a week before that case occurred," the statement read.

"In addition, we decided that it would not be appropriate to disclose the artists’ personal daily life activities to the public because we voluntarily took measures such as taking the Coronavirus test, according to government guidelines. However, there is no excuse to this decision, as it showed that we clearly did not recognize the seriousness of social distancing during this time, as the artists’ managing agency," the statement added. The agency also confirmed that Jungkook is not showing any symptoms of Coronavirus. "Jungkook is deeply reflecting on the fact that he has not faithfully participated in the efforts of keeping social distance," Big Hit said.

What are your thoughts on the controversy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. Stay tuned to Pinkvilla for more updates.

ALSO READ: BTS: Jungkook with Justin Bieber or V ft Conan Gray, which collab would you empty your bank balance on? VOTE

This Day That Year
2019
2018
2017
2016
2015
Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I can't say anything for the other three but I was disappointed in Jungkook. I don't know how much Koreans think about it but for many foreign countries BTS is the face of Korea, you know. When I hear the word South Korea, the first thing that comes to my mind is BTS. They aren't just simple idols at their young age. They are an inspiration to many people. If a member of BTS go out and wouldn't practice social distancing, many kids would follow his example by saying, "See... even our Jung-Kook oppa/hyung goes out to party. So, why can't I?" Things like that happen everywhere, especially among high school students. That includes the fans of the other three too. I'm not blaming them at all since they are young and also humans too. Like everyone, they too want to party and meet up with friends. Usually, they don't have such times for these and now that they have a lot of time, it's natural for them to go for an outing. That's why I'm not saying that they are wrong but just saying that I was disappointed in them as a fan. That's all. I hope they really reflect on their actions.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

These kids are groomed to be idols before they even know who they are at the ages of 12 and 13. My family is American and we just watched the Handsome Tigers series on Viki. So shocked to hear that Cha EunWoo didn't even get to go on class field trips during idol training. Give them a break for being human and wanting to breathe a bit while having some much deserved time off.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Guys, they made a mistake. So does everyone. They already apologized, case closed, so stop stirring the drama.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Iam a fan but what they did was no way responsible. Sorry comes easy, what if one of them got infected and infected the rest of the group members? Would the fans defend them again saying that it was not their fault to be out when the whole world was dying? Government all over the world are not only looking after the health of its citizens but also the economic imbalance created by the pandemic. So yes there will be open doors but knowing the gravity of situation whether you choose to open that door and go in or doesn't makes it your decision regarding your safety and others too. It's because of this obsessive fan behaviour that lets even the most disgusting scandals involving idols and celebrities seems normal try remembering the past month scandals. And yes they are idols so they are going to be in the news more than the common people. So stop saying people shouldn't judge them because when it comes to their carreer and personality you all seem to be asking for every youtube channel for reactions. Try asking for reaction of this article and see. People judge when they can't understand why. Hence, at this grave moment when we hear people are going clubbing we will have to put a ? in their decision to do what they did.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

As a fan of all the 4 idols, mostly Jungkook and Jaehyun, I feel that they did something irresponsible but the Knetizens are exaggerating this. They are humans and it is okay to make mistakes. Personally, they should be more careful next time. In addition to this, those who are defending the idols too much r damn immature. Please be practical!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

stop defending your oppars you dumb a** people

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

just because they are idols it doesnt mean that you should be defending them. they are wrong and they should not being out side and it is so disrespectful of them to go out while a lot of people are dying

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

they don't had a bad intention .. right ?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Can you please stop these they didn’t mean to do it but all are talking about this . idols also need time to enjoy their life. they just wanted to go to club they went . Please stop it

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

They definitely should not have been out, but if they are reflecting, shouldn't the media just mind their business now. They have gone through what they need to go through, for a whole frigging month, isn't it time to end this sh*t now?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

LMAOOO these comments defending them are stupid. I'm an nctzen, army and i love cha eun woo but hol up. They are big enough to know what's right and wrong, what's more, they are fricking IDOLS. Please don't defend them, what they did was wrong. It also pisses me off that they were allowed to do promotions and MC-ing shows even before their supposedly 14 day quarantine ended, just like any other person who underwent a 14 day isolation. I love them but I'm really disappointed by their actions lmao and you should too, don't be a blind fan, be smart enough to know when to defend your idols and acknowledge their mistakes.

Wth

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Ur probably a toxic fan plus they apologised what more do u want to say bad stuff to them so they end up like sully I mean dude mistakes happen ur saying this like uve never done anything wrong people like u are 2 faced u tell others ur a fan when ur really not so shut up

omgg yaaaasss

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

They are adults. They knew what they were doing. It was poor judgement. Learn, accept the responsibility, and move on.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

They are not that young anymore. They are old enough to know to practice social distancing. Yes, others in Korea are out eating and partying. But most are VERY critical of those people. Social distancing should still be practiced. I understand some things are unavoidable but this was not work related. If they wanted to socialise so badly they could have done it privately in someone's home.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Why did Jungkook go there? To marry V ?

what are you talking

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Dude that's so not funny

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

What's wrong with you? He went there with his friends. Also, hasn't Taehyung shut down ALL delulus for shipping the boys with each other?! He told y'all to get out of your imagination, so do it.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

what You now. that what are you saing

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

The government should have closed down the clubs, bars, and pubs. Why is it Eun-woo's fault? The government should be blasted instead tf.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Stupid fan...the idol who made mistake and u blame the government such a stupid comment....

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Why now?They are still so young and are always working so hard they just wanted to see some friends and have fun with each other so whats the crime its also been almost a month so they didn't really violate anything but I also get that they did put themselves at risk for it but thankfully they're fine its just them trying to escape and have fun for a while but they did apologize for it people should leave it as it is

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Your crazy or just being stupid..they are adult and should have made a proper jugdement according to the pandemic situation....what a blinded fan you are....

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Why now? It's been almost a month since they were out eating without breaking any government regulations at the time. Many people ate outside. Still, they apologized. People should leave them alone.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't think they had a bad intention. They are just so young and working so hard they just wanted to see some friends and have fun. I am sure they know better now , and won't do that again :)

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Such a silly statement from a blinded....if you can go clubbing that means you are adult enough to take responsible even to drink and donot need to ask your agency to clarify....pledis and fantagio artist are sincere the other 2 just use their agency...sgame on this 4....they do not give a good example while people in korea they were doing hypes....just because an idol that means they should be more responsible and they still continue their activities but other people follow the protocol...what a double standard...

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

i don't think they had a bad intentions too ... jungkook is kpop singer .. he also have a personal time with friends and also wishes for outing ..

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Lol cmon they r frickin adults. I am an army so dont think i m simply hating. and ik there is no reason to create a big fuss over something like this since they visited tht place before breakout. But still, they shud have followed social distancing. Especially when u r an idol. Cos pple r always watching u nd u r meant to reach sm standards. Idols r normal humans too, ik tht. But they cant be like every one of us with their life. But still, they were tested negative so no need to make this issue big ig. The artist know they did smthing wrong nd thts y they apologised

Jungkook e v

Why ?

I wonna hear Austin Bieber and Jungook

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options