Backstreet Rookie prepares to release its third episode today. However, the backlash against the content the Ji Chang Wook and Kim Yoo Jung starrer showed in its premiere episode hasn't died down yet.
Backstreet Rookie Controversy: Over 6000 complaints filed against Ji Chang Wook & Kim Yoo Jung starrer Backstreet Rookie Controversy: Over 6000 complaints filed against Ji Chang Wook & Kim Yoo Jung starrer

It seems like Backstreet Rookie's problems are not going to die down anytime soon. The SBS drama, which filled in the slot previously held by Lee Min Ho's The King: Eternal Monarch, stars Ji Chang Wook and Kim Yoo Jung in the lead. Having premiered its first and second episodes last weekend, the series has already found itself in the middle of a controversy. For the unversed, the K-drama is based on the webtoon Convenience Store Saet Byul by Hwalhwasan and Geumsagong.

The webtoon consists of adult content. The series adopted a few adult elements into the series and that hasn't gone down well with the Korean audiences. Earlier this week, Pinkvilla reported that viewers are demanding that the show be cancelled. Now, Korean news outlet PD Journal reported over 6000 complaints have been registered against the series. Korea Communications Standards Commission and the channel's site has received complaints regarding the show's inappropriate “sexual nature”.

A representative of the Korea Communications Standards Commission claimed, “The content will be reviewed." They said, "Viewers continue to file official complaints with us over the program. The assigned team will look over the concerns and review the content accordingly." The makers of Backstreet Rookie and SBS are yet to react to the backlash.

The controversy first made the headlines when viewers pointed out that the premiere episode objectified women and pointed out that it was inappropriate for the lead character, who plays a middle school girl, to physically engage with the lead character, who is 30 years old.

The first episode not only featured a kiss between the leading characters but it also featured a sex worker and half-naked women. Read all about it here: Backstreet Rookie lands in controversy right after its first episode; Viewers demand show be CANCELLED

Stay updated with the latest entertainment,fashion and lifestyle news. Get our Newsletter

Anonymous 1 day ago

I’m look forward for episode 7

Anonymous 3 days ago

I hope it gets cancelled asap, poor jcw tho I hope he plays in more action/legal dramas rather than solely romcom ones

Anonymous 1 week ago

Ang ganda ng palabas nato..subrang na kakatuwa.at action n nakakaba baka masaktan ang ifol namin..hihihi..god bless po

Anonymous 1 week ago

I think I missed something? Calls for it to be cancelled.. Insanity, honestly it's so good! If we are being perfectly honest the leads probably have fans ages 18 - 80 (possibly younger /older) who would jump at the chance to kiss them. Enjoy the drama for what it is and stop calling for it to be cancelled. If you don't like it.. Watch something else. Personally I can't wait for the next installments!!

Anonymous 1 week ago

I like Backstreet rookie! I m looking forwarc to ep 7. It is so refreshing to see the female lead actoress. She is totally different from her usual demure looks in periodical drama. She is cute surprisingly act well.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Yes d world we live in r daily so sinful happenings around us, a middle school girl n a age 30+ guy kisses?! What to exclaimed so inappropriate? These naive audiences r still 'baby' grown up or what!? India cities backlanes aredi hv child prostitution, or younger age child marriages in some countries! What d big fuss, it is just a simple n entertaining Korean drama series for u to watch n laugh n relax oneself, not to complaint n even wana takedown d drama, who is normal behaviour?!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

What is wrong with korean audience ?? It's such a good drama why they are critisizing them.. If they don't like it then just don't watch.. Let us see why demanding to ban the drama I guess that's why people got in depression, they so much critisize their work please dont do that they work really hard for entertaining us.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with this drama, I don't remember or noticed the scene that u guys mantion as inappropriate!!!! I don't remember noticing it at all!!! And this drama seems so fine for me...like some people say that western movie a way more inappropriate than this drama well it's true so if I can't take it dont watch it you are wasting your time..n to those who don't like please don't make us who think that drama is just fine and love it can not watch it!!! Please don't cancel this drama we love it...ji Chang wook and Kim yoo Jung are my favorite artist n when they were put in the same drama I want to watch it till the end!!!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

These hunks of Korean dramas should go to the states it's time we saw some real passion in their love scenes, instead of watching actor and actresses having to behave like nursery school kids

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I found this drama interesting. It's start us really different from normal korean dramas. Both the characters are pretty interesting. Absolutely there is no objectification or so till now.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Get your facts right first of all... according to the Wikipedia page Yoo Jung's character in the present is 22 years old and Chang Wook's character is 29. There's only a 7 year gap, dunno what it was in the webtoon but it's not that weird in the drama. This also means she was not a minor (18/19yo) when she kissed him. And please don't talk about objectification of women and shit... there is absolutely no comparison between this dramas scenes and the lewd/vulgar objectification of women in Indian cinema!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

yes thank you, and saet-byul is the one who kissed him!! also get that fact right people!!

Exactly!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Ok first of all you guys got your information wrong... in the present You Jung's character is done with school and in her early 20s, so as per the time leap mentioned in the show (3 years), she would have been a senior in high school, so 18/19 in Korea. I haven't read the webtoon so idkwhat their ages are in that, but in the drama, according to its Wikipedia page, in the present, Chang Wook's character is 29 and Yoo Jung's is 22. If she was 18 or above it's legal anyways. I don't think I have to mention that this is based off of an adult webtoon. I read that some people also had a problem with the drama being too family-friendly... lmao what do people want! And please... there have been way more suggestive, vulgar, and lewd scenes and comments in Indian cinema... and don't go on about her short skirts and sh*t you know what women are made to wear and show in Indian cinema. There is literally no comparison to the amount of objectification of women in Indian cinema... dunno why Indian audiences are bu**hurt lmao.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

One of the very few korean tv series that actually makes you laugh out loud not just smile or chuckle. Sad to see more and more people feel entitled to impose their standard of what is viewable. I don't don't complain that there isn't enough skin on show right? So why complain about a moan or a brothel secene where everyone was dressed just sitting in the presence of police officers? Or a guy moaning drawing cartoons? Jeez if this is what you find offensive then you are going to have a tough time in life. I have kids, and you know what I do? I follow the tv ratings. Or just tell them not to watch. But to sit there and complain because it's a little rude, raunchy, inapropriate etc... I am honestly baffled. There more explicit content online should you comolplain about that too? The cast and actors worked pretty hard to bring a little joy a little fun in a world of Donald trump, viruses and riots as well as political unrest, random murders and police brutality - But this show is somehow enough to make people complain and disregard the joy it brings to hundreds of thousands maybe millions of people. It's a sad day for common sense and political correctness gone mad.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

this! this is the one!! this comment sums everything thank you!!!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

If anyone has a problem with it, they can choose not to watch it. I absolutely love this series and find it very hilarious

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

A kiss not not inappropiate though

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

This is a good drama. The theme is very good, and I like and and enjoy it. Funny as hell and surely is entertaining with great chemistry. Keep on going please.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

This drama is lovely since it's a romantic comedy I don't think there is anything inappropriate in the content. Pls do not cancel this show.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

There is nothing wrong in the drama, people who find it inappropriate shouldn't watch it.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

What the hell . It doesn’t make any sense . There was nothing inappropriate to file complains against the drama .

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

The actors had already read through the script and made the decision to play the roles and these stupid people are judging just because of 1st episode!? And all those reason the gave to take the drama down doesn't even make any sense The age gap? Really? The kissing scene really? So you guys were fine with the movie parasite and dramas like live alarm and my secret romance? Seriously grow up or just watch cartoons

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I really really love this drama especially to the actors and actresses of this i can't wait to watch the next episode..and people please dont be selfish if you dont want to watch then change the channel or better turn off your tv. Because your not the only one watching the drama millions of people loved to watch it..so be fair! Spread the love everyone❤❤❤

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Don't understand why make such a big fuss. As mentioned this drama is adapted from the webtoon and if you feel uncomfortable, don't watch. For me, as long as I like the actors and actresses, I will just support them.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Well, i guess they only need to put 17+ instead saying this drama is "family friendly" and this drama won't get any problems anymore. But whatever, in fact what international said won't affect anything on its rating nor if KNetizens demanding to cancel it though. So what we wrote here is useless.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't know what to say because it's not that we're starred in this drama, out of the 6000 people half of them probably watch p**n though but having some mature themes in the drama they make it controversy, how's that making sense tho we ain't no one to protect the actors they chose the work they chose what to do we ain't nobody to judge it. Sorry if I offended anyone by saying this but we all here are giving our point of view.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

6000 complaint can not undergo with us millions who wants the show to go on. Remember that there is this RSPG thing shown on televisions now adays. If you find the drama not appropriate for your kids to watch, then don't let them watch.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Saet-Byul was not in middle school. She was 18 or 19 when she kissed JCW.

She was 19.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't get why people say it's adult stuff, cause it wasn't that bad. I don't even consider that a kiss:)) and for those who say it has a negative impact on younger people, do y'all think young people don't have internet and cellphones?:)) hell, they've seen a lot worse. let it go

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

In every serial drama there will be adult elements but this serial drama is only intended for adults so why should minors watch this story !?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Simply do not judge the show on its first episodes. It’s a nice drama, don’t overreact. Episode 4 is their best episode yet and it has the highest ratings so far!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Yes, I really can't understand why there's so many complaints, yet they have not seen the entire ep. Actually, it's one of the best romcom I've seen, the lessons re still there... Keep going... Can't wait for the next episode...

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I actually Like this drama a lot

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't know why people are complaining about this TVshow.. It's good.. This show just relax me make my panic attack go away at night.. And I don't get the reason why its inappropriate.. I can't relate

Nmalllll oiyyyy

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Whyyyyyyy plss let the kdrama beeee huhuhu a lot of fans are waiting huhuhuhu I rlly want to watch it bcoz of KYJ and JCW idc if itss inappropriate or not huhuhuhuhu if u cant handle it then dont watch it okayyyyyyyy

THIS US AN OBVIOUS PROPAGANDA TO GAIN MORE VIEWERS AND SOME ARE TAKING THE BAIT

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Finally someone with brain :)

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Our JCW is a good actor. He's just doing his best play to the roll to give us a good show.so please don't be so judgemental. Instead be happy to those other good deed

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

inappropriate content? seriously? it's still a light drama.. just enjoy the drama people.. don't make it a big deal..

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

People don't know when to file complaints. In the world of the married, there are far worse scenes in the drama but people are liking it instead. Dumbass virgins have weak hearts and can't handle it. And also the actors are not at fault, its their job. And it could have been anybody involved in this shit.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't know why they are exaggerating so much. They are fine with movies like I saw the devil, Happy end, Handmaiden, parasite and many more. But they have a problem with Backstreet Rookie. I think South Korean viewers need to grow up.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's just a freakin drama. Get over it kiddos.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

over react viewers..dont watch it if u dont want to...omg

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Omg....! we've already Did the Conference bfore Starting the First Episode. why Now we already on Air They coming a lot issue to them. why!? Bcos Of the gap of Age. It's Been thru years. We all changes its 2020 now. Be happy For them. It's Really Enjoy this Movie and Everyone's relieved for Stress despite for our Difficult times. Just A Movie come on. Don't Ruin For all viewers.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I enjoy watching this drama!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don’t see anything malicious in the first and second episodes.. korean viewers should be open minded. What is in the series is happening in the real world.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

To people who are saying stuff like that shouldn't be portrayed because it can manipulate young minds, think about does it happen in real life if it does it can be absolutely be portrayed on TV. If you have a problem with this kind of behaviour how about change the society first, I don't see you campaigning for those stuff in real life but you only get courageous about movies . Art represents reality and truth at least thats what it should portray us. Showcasing the reality of life isn't a bad thing it doesn't necessarily glorify it, it just gives you a more clear view of the real word.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's A very good drama I like it so who doesn't like it just don't watch it Fighting

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

oh come on, move on....this only shows that the actors were really ACE in acting. lessons to be learned from this drama is at the end, so watch it...and enjoy

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Wow knetz are just nuts.they really want to show this angel innocent face while they considers their idols and star as a robot.if you don't like it don't watch it simple.they seriously needs to be sent to the loony bin once a while.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

People need to grow up it's just a drama so let it go and enjoy the show, stop the moaning and let the show continue, it's 2020 all ready.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Bu ikilinin muhteşem uyumunu kıskananlar belki de rakip kanallar engellemeye kalkışıyor.Ortada ne ahlaka ne yaşantıya aykırı hiç bir şey yok.Bu dizinin yasaklanmasını isteyen akıl ve ruh sağlığından endişe etsin.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Bence bu ikiliyi kıskananlar belki de başka firmalar engellemeye çalışıyor.Son derece düzgün sakıncasız bir dizi.Kim engellensin diyorsa ruh sağlığından endişe etsin.

Eng please

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't get the hate. I just love this show and I will keep on watching this everyweek! Please don't shut it down!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Typical korean netizen. Full of hypocrites. Stop being ridiculous and appreciate other people's work. If you can't say nice thing, better don't say anything.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Whats the problem its only a kdrama and most of it is non fiction

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

The people doing this f..... king retarded. Nothing to complain about this drama I thought its nice and easy to watch.. Because they change it to a romantic comedy drama not x rated like the webtoon theyre dissapointed?. Maybe they want to watch that kind drama, theyre dissapointed lol. How about the WORLD OF THE MARRIED? High rating but its showing not good example to people. This is what they called good drama example? Please dont cancel it.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

If they were cancelling because of the racism, I would understand. But since the biggest issue people have is the age gap and "inappropriate" content (that ONE scene)... LOL. "half-naked women"? Have you seen idols performing these days?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

it is actually not something kids will watch its not q n erotic movie comon its just a drama like dont cancle it i wait a whole week to watch this show if this gets cancle then this is pure stupidity

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I just watched the 4th episode of Bacstreet Rookie, its really fun. Its for adult so I think its appropriate to watch. Not overacting its really AMAZING. The lead actor and actress are perfect to be together, age gap? it doesn't matter. Its not about the age its about the story line. Please keep going i started to enjoy every episodes... I so love it especially , Saet Byul the lead actress.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

TBH This drama is very fun and i enjoy watching it i do not find anything inappropriate about this

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

We watch Korean dramas because they are clean and beautiful. We hope and pray that it stays this way so we can watch shows with our children without any worry. A lot of Americans watch Korean dramas for those reasons. Some of us want a reprieve from coarse language, sexually explicit scenes etc.

e

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Its a drama only why are taking it so serious... If u dont want to watch then just back off

True

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't know why they are critisizing this drama... It's so much fun and i am really enjoying this drama..

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I think these are really over reacting about the age gap. There are many dramas with large age gaps between characters. It's just a show. And it's a really good one too. They shouldn't make such a big deal out of something so trivial

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Dude all koreans like the cliche bits. Honestly k-drama is becoming so predictable and boring. Thats why they want it too end because its not up to their standards and that hurt their feelings. - go cry to your mommy because a drama shows bullying and theft. Oh and also dont forget to change diapers your toddlers

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Don’t watch it if you can’t handle it, enough said!!!!!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I love korea nd it's culture but seriously korean audiences are really next level. How the hell is it inappropriate.These people should learn to enjoy nd get a life instead of complaining for stupid things.This is why so many celebrities goes in depression.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Its cause their virginity can't handle it

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Can they put it on Netflix so that I can watch it?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

There is no way this drama will survive on Netflix, and with good reason. The character appropriating a black man is offensive at best and totally racist at worst. The character that they purposefully made look like a black man is perverted, a thief, and dirty with bugs in his hair...and they call that character an Australopithecus (google it) i.e subhuman. The character that is appropriating a black man is made to look inferior to everyone else. Look up the definition of racism... So no, we will not be silent if they even attempt to put this on Netflix, which they probably won't unless they are complete morons.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Hey download it on a app called IQIYI it’s totally free and is in both andoried and iOS pls subscribe to my YouTube channel power the too

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

you can watch backstreet rookie on dramacool it's free there with english subtitles

It is on you tube

Agree

Watch it on dramacool

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

There is nothing wrong with this drama. Not all dramas are meany for kids to watch. People have to remember that this drama is based on an adult webtoon so it will contain adult scenes. If people can't handle that, then stop watching and for watch cartoons. This drama is amazing so far

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Even some cartoon nowadays have explicit contents.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Oh. For me it is an indeed good drama to watch. Please don't cancel the upcoming episodes. Thank you.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Please DON'T cancel the drama ! We are waiting for its upcoming episodes. If those people can't understand that it's a drama it's their mistake. There are lots of dramas with a plot of high schoolers being in love , I don't think it has anything to make it into a controversy. So please stop this unnecessary controversy.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I really dont understand this korean fan base or should I just say "so called fan base". They are totally freaking out and making a scene just because of the age gap of the actors, I can bet on this! For all those stupid nutjobs out there this is for entertainment purpose for God sake! And for the drama, the production wont stop and will totally top in this year's dramas for sure!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

So the drama "the world of married" is ok? Married having an affair with another? Wow, bravo.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Are they really complaining about the inappropriate content that they were talking about? or they just didn't like the fact that the series were doing great and gaining a good view ratings? If you don't like the drama then don't watch it. Simple as that. It's only a drama.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I've watched the first three episodes already and i don't see any inappropriate scenes. Both lead actors were good in portraying their characters. The only thing they were protesting is the part when Dae Hyun's friend daydreaming and making a webtoon about s**ual nature. For me was very funny. But it is only for a few minutes. It is also natural for two people that would like each other even though they had a huge age gap.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I am a fan of Ji Chang fr the Cayman Islands and I love is dramas. I enjoy everyone and I am waiting to see this one.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

there is nothing wrong with the show its just a drama with great performance

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Listen I have been waiting for this. I haven't started to watch because I like to wait until it is completed so please do not cancel

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I'm a fan from Philippines. I love this drama. I found nothing inappropriate. No need to complain. I remember one kdrama about a relationship between a teacher and a high school student. Indeed, the lead actor in this drama is a versatile one!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I feel like the article is misleading. The characters are playing a 29 yr old and a 22 year old. How is this an inappropriate age gap?

Seriously get a life

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

LOL, What is happening to u guys, it's just a drama, if u don't like it don't watch it. I'm watching and enjoying it, I don't find it offending... Just grow up hater community. You don't even know how much money you have to invest to make a drama and you @$$holes just to cancel it, all I know is may international user are enjoying the show don't ruin it just by some of the haters

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

i guess south koreans condone bullying and thievery esp in convenience stores? this show really brings out the hellish acts in their country and their citizens don't want that. that's why they complain and wanted to terminate the show.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

SKoreans need to grow the fk up. Im pretty sure its just jealousy because of the leads and hypocrisy. If you dont like it, watch some PG13 and dont try to cancel a show other enjoy watching. There should be a petition to keep the show alive, for the sKoreans that enjoy it and the international fans, im personally from Europe and i dont see a problem with the show. If they cancel it or shorten it, ill be bloody p***ed off.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

If the drama cancels I won't forgive them that's all I have to say

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Reading comments has made me laugh so well that people don't understand the drama. And have said it over and over and over again if you not interested in the drama don't watch it, it's not hard to ignore the drama. I have watched lots of movies that I didn't like and had wrong doing in it and I just stop watching it and move on to the next movie when my friends asks me bow the movie was I will just tell them to watch it to know if they like it. Now my point is everyone has different taste but as it is you don't have to condemn the things people work hard for. It involves a drama between someone who is way older than the actress so is that the point of this bad comments. In high school life students has done terrible things that there parents don't know. This drama has no wrong doing even if Koreans says it has, someone commented that K-pop artists wears cloths that shows that booty and everyone other things which I don't like but since I have been listening or watching K-pop music I never criticize them of that. Everyone knows what they feel comfortable with, in this same drama I watched where the actress is way older than the actor to me I don't feel it normal but I still didn't criticize the drama I watched because of the content not the people. In backstreet rookie it is not for every age to watch I repeat NOT for every age to watch. I love the drama and just because of some jobless people that wants to cancel it affects the fans of the drama. If they cancel the drama I w

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Just watched Episode 4, cant find why people hate this drama... Man I'm really enjoying it and w8ing for more

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options