The King: Eternal Monarch viewers were left unimpressed by the show's CGI quality in its fifth episode.
The King: Eternal Monarch: Lee Min Ho  starrer mocked for subpar CGI quality in episode 5The King: Eternal Monarch: Lee Min Ho starrer mocked for subpar CGI quality in episode 5

The sun isn't shining so bright on The King: Eternal Monarch. Over the weekend, SBS dropped two new episodes of the Lee Min-Ho headlined South Korean drama series. The two episodes propelled the storyline forward with several subplots opening up. There were several talking points that toughens the wait for The King: Eternal Monarch's Episode 7. However, Korean fans of the show cannot forgive the makers for a particular scene from episode 5. Fans felt the scene was at par with mediocre Chinese dramas.

The scene in discussion features Min-Ho and Eun-suk travel through a fantasy world where they spot a red balloon stranded in the middle of nowhere. King Lee Gon explains that the universe doesn't have air, water or any form of life. As the two actors rode Maximus through the CGI created land, fans pointed out that the quality of the scene was not at par with other K-Dramas they have seen.

"I can't believe that Kim Eun-suk's drama became like this," a fan wrote on Theqoo.net. "It's a scene you can do if you want to do well, but after all, it doesn't have any cameras, so it becomes a synthetic finish," pointed out another fan. "Wow, it looks like a real Chinese drama," another online user wrote. "Wherever the production cost is spent," questioned a viewer. Fans also pointed out that there was something wrong with Maximus in the shot. "Don't the horse proportions look okay? When synthesized, does maxi mousse skin look so shaggy that it looks awkward?" a fan wondered. "Crazy Eun-suk is also shocked to see this," a fan wrote, referring to the writer.

While the CGI has fans questioning the quality of the show, fans are also questioning if this could affect Eun-Suk's career. The writer has several acclaimed projects under her belt. This includes her series Goblin. With The King: Eternal Monarch not matching up to the level of her previous series, fans are expressing their concern. "Eunsuk is ruined like this," commented a viewer. "I can't believe that Kim Eun-suk's drama became like this," added another. "It seems like this is the worst drama in the history of Eunsuk," a comment read.

This isn't the first time that The King: Eternal Monarch has received flak for an episode. When the series began, the makers were in trouble after they featured a temple in the opening credits inspired by the Japanese culture. The producers issued an apology after the issue caught fire on social media.

"In the case of the two-story wooden pagoda, we used features of Korean Buddhist temples and Chinese royal palaces as the base to make a fictional wooden pagoda, and we have verified that some features of a Japanese temple were used in the process. It was clearly our mistake, no matter the reason for it, for us to have not paid close attention to every detail in the process of designing the fictional world of the Korean Empire, and we sincerely apologize," the statement from Hwa & Dam Pictures read.

"The production team will immediately correct this, and we will make sure that you feel no discomfort when watching the show from episode 3 onwards. We will also correct this in the reruns and video-on-demand services for episodes that have already aired," they added.

Fans also noticed that there was an error in the first episode. The series kicks off with Lee Gon almost dying by the hands of his uncle Lee Min. Min pierces a sharp object into his neck in the attempt to kill him. While the establishing scene shows the villain pierces the object on the left side of Gon's neck. However, as the episodes unfold, the scar is placed on the right side of the neck. The mistake also became a talking point on social media. Read more about it here: The King: Eternal Monarch: Fans point out a huge error in Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun's led K Drama

To top it off, the dropping ratings in the second weekend also left fans of the Korean actor worried about the future of the show. We feel, apart from the controversies and reactions, there could be other reasons behind the weak ratings of the show: The King: Eternal Monarch: Are these the reasons why Lee Min Ho starrer is witnessing low TV ratings?

Stay tuned to Pinkvilla for more updates.

This Day That Year
2019
2018
2017
2016
2015
Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Enough with the nitpicking already. Why are some quarters trying to sabotage this show?

Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I think TKEM is a great drama. The cinematography is really superb. The story itself is very interesting especially now that so many things are starting to unfold. LMH and KGE are amazing actors and they actually look cute together. I also love the fact that we have strong female leads in the form of Tae-eul and Prime Minister Koo. I love the fact that the prime minister is a strong willed woman who doesn’t allow herself to be bullied by older men plus she embraces her femininity. OST is good, as well. It’s different from other kdramas and the story itself is far from typical kdrama formula. I’m just gonna say that it’s been #1 in Netflix for quite some time and has always been in top 10 in Netflix since its premier.

Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Uhmmmn dose comment r so discouraged but Eva u lyk it or nt dy av made it in lyf even witout ur support, so it beta u stp d criticism nd focus on ur own mistake oh u hater

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

This is a wonderful drama and LMH is soooo PERFECT for the role. The story is very engaging (very well produced too!) and I can't wait for new episodes! Enough with the hatred and just try to enjoy this well-produced drama! I hope netflix will have more wonderful drama with LMH such as this one. As an international viewer, I think this is one of the best K-drama ever!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

It is an excellent drama . And Lee Min Ho's acting is excellent as always. Instead of criticizing, try to enjoy the show and LMH's acting.

IloveLMH!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

From Anonymous LMH fan I watch this series because of LMH. Im not Korean so IDC about the production thing not accdg. to certain Korean era or standard. Its all about how LMH is a very good versatile actor giving justice to any given role And LMH makes his fan happy by making series again. This series is for all international fans of the lead actors and actress primarily, and we outnumbered those bashers. So no matter what you say, i will continue to watch each episode cuz i admire LMH.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Why so sensitive particularly over this show. I have seen alot of K dramas and I can find alot of mistakes in the show and yet I still watch till the end. What's the big deal. I still will watch this drama.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Errors can be made after all we are humans stop behaving like you haven't done it before. Ignore the mistakes and shower love towards their hard work. Love from India

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Everyone in the comments is so delusional it's crazy. I can see you guys are all koreaboos lol, just blindly liking a series because your oppa is in it. The show isn't doing well because the writer of Goblin gave us a huge expectation of this series but it isn't up to par. The story is slow as hell, it took like 5 episodes for anything to really happen, there is zero chemistry between Kim Goeun and LMH's characters (and they are both great actors, but the writing of the characters suck). Just because your fav is in this show, doesn't mean the show has to do well. I'm glad other viewers in Korea are noticing the lack of quality.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I love this drama. They actors are great!!! I am looking forward to next episodes.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

A true kdrama fan will always appreciate such masteripiece. Ive come to embrace this drama despite its flaws. If your looking for error then surely youll find 1 or more but if you are like me who is just as excited and thankful seeing lee min ho and his girl partner in a kdrama then i could not ask for more. Its heaven

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

You seem a bit delusional and blindly liking the drama just because LMH is in it, or just because it's a Korean drama. The drama's plot is honestly really slow and there is genuinely no chemistry between the main leads. I started understanding why ratings for Korean viewers were dropping even though the cast is A-listers (even the writer being the creator of Goblin).

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

According to my pov..there is nothing bad in that scene...actually I luv this drama...its a very cool fantacy drama...just enjoy it..!!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Just enjoy,if you don't like it then don't watch it! Speaking for myself,I am realy loving the whole thing and everyone.Dont ruined others good mood!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

If you don't like it just don't watch it...it's just a fictional drama ...I m watching it and I m falling in love with it....if you don't understand the story or any scene just ignore it or don't watch it either..

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Just because you ignore it doesn't make the show less flawed lol.

I love LMH no matter what. He's great actor

I couldn’t agree more

Same. I’m here for LMH.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Agree! Too critical!! Shutup and enjoy it! Been awhile since I got hooked into a k-drama, I love it!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I really love it and im not korean at all. But i love the cultural, the food and everything about KOREANS. However people didnt read the beginning where it said its just fictional. So meaning that its not a true fact but its part of their own way of making the movie more enjoyable. People need 2 stop critizing and just enjoy it. Just picture yourself the ones who complains if you were in the joseon era you wouldnt even survive 2 complain. So relax, eat a bowl of ramen and enjoy the series. COM SAMIDA!!!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

i definitely will band PINKVILLA. this the second news i read from this site and i guess i can see the direction of this site. they just want a click. this is a total click bait story. adios you idiot

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

If youre not happy with it please dont watch it

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Why make things complicated knowing that every dramas has its own story to tell, why not just leave it the way it is and enjoy it, rather than being a fault finder. I believe that we're entitled to our own opinion, but its a different thing when you try to put down someone's creation knowing it is too high above them. TKEM were at its par for opening salvo, so with the succeeding epidodes. I had so much laughter. Its only a Fiction so whats the big fuss! Or is it the legendary handsomen Dude is back ! Riding on a white horse like a Knight just to fetch pretty flippant lady, isn't it cute !Or the good Tandem. Its very joyful to watch & I'm in awed.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

These so called bashing comments seems like intentionally jeopardising a great drama. The King eternal monarch is superb! Cast really good, story and even CGI. Of course a mistake would be here and there but it doesn't lower the value and the entertaining factor of it. Guess I'll stop reading PINKVILLA... so much unnecessary negativity being spread by you. Disgusting!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

For me it's the best drama n waiting for next episode,I really can't understand those people if u dnt like the drama then drop out why they should bring negativity,plz be positive .......

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I only watch it because of Lee Min ho. Then I see the bromance, and Maximus. However , Kim Go eun is not right for this cast. She is a good actress , just not for this drama. She can’t deliver the chemistry , seems so awkward . Love lee min ho though!!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

" While the CGI has fans questioning the quality of the show, fans are also questioning if this could affect Eun-Suk's career." I don't get it how the carelessness or mistakes on part of the production team can affect the writer's career? The plot is definitely unique, interesting, and entertaining. How can it be the writer's fault if the technical execution falls short? Moreover, fans should keep in mind that it will be additionally hard for the team to give finishing touches under the current pandemic situation.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I don't understand all the criticism. Its a drama . watch it for what it is; an escape from today's turmoil. I think both actors are doing a fantastic job

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Why they have to criticize other works..they put their hard work to film this drama..if u don't like this drama u don't have to post ur negative comments..I don't understand why they have to do this

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

TKEM is a fantasy romance drama that combines with Science and Mystery. You don't have to be LMH's fan to enjoy it. Love the casting and story line. Minho looks every inch of a warrior king...

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Guyz.. I m not a korean. The very first tym i saw Lee Min Ho's series i became his big fan and i like watching all his korean series. We see his hard work in his acting itself. Pls be positive guyz. The scar is either to left or right and the sunlight hardly matters as far as the story is good. This show does not deserve this level of critisism

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Why to much negative, our group here in UAE are very happy, we enjoy the show and we love Lee min hoo. Waiting for the next episode.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I noticed the scar is on the wrong side too.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I am not a Korean descendant and i don't know any of their history. I am watching this show on Netflix and enjoying it very much. I look forward to new episodes every week. If they could redo the part when the king's neck was cut when he was a child to be on the same side when he grew up, it would be so great for the rerun and DVDs.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Kim eun suk is crazy or not I don't know.।। But these people are for sure becoz it's a fantasy drama second I feel like instead of enjoying u guys r more into findind small mistakes.।। 2much negativity.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

What's wrong with these people? This is just a fictional drama so there can be differences... Why become so sensitive? Just enjoy the drama.. I would like to say the writer to not lose her courage just because of these hate comments.. And for the actors... There's nothing wrong with your acting. Just do your best. We are always with you.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

people are to perfect in time of pandemic the virus goes to there brain. if don't like the show don't watch it..

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Just enjoy the show people... If you don't like it don't watch it.. Humans make mistake... IT'S JUST A DRAMA NOT DOCUMENTARY...

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Agree. I think during the pandemic, some people have too much time in their hands.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Stop complaining the show is perfect I love it .Don't watch it if you don't like it I can't wait to finish it I'm always excited to watch it their lovely couple .stop writing negative everything is perfect no worries it will be ok just enjoy watching ..you guys shut up...

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Just enjoy the show. No need to be so skeptical and too serious. Remember its just a drama. It don't need to make you so worrisome. I love lee min ho, and that's it, I don't care whether the injury of the neck was right, left whatever. The sun is bright or not who cares and that doesn't bothers me.

true

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I don't know why people are criticising it. LMH fans are gonna watch the drama no matter what. Hate comments will not preclude us from watching a beautiful, mind bending drama.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

It is not the actors, is the drama. Parallel world, so boring. It is a pity for Those excellent actors.

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

This is a fictional drama not documentary. They can have any designs or background they want. Don't be too critical, enjoy the show.

Thank you!

True

Exactly

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Why are there so many negative comments about a good series. It's easy to sit and be critical about it. Try making one by yourself. The actors are awesome, the whole team is good. This is what I feel

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Let's stop the negative comments. Lee min ho is great and the show is awesome. Just enjoy the show and stop the critics

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I felt odd about this series...like his series all looked real and lovely❤️ but this series had sm problems such as in the 4th episode ...the sudden kiss and the place where they travel to another parallel universe where there is noo air and the balloon kinda floating just as IT....plzz eun suk....Lee Minho is my favourite actor of all......bring his charms back and come clean with the visuals..fighting!!!!u can do it# no offence!... ...

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Yeah i really don't get it! Just enjoy it! It's a nice fantasy story! LMH is amazing in it! I really don't get it why people keep critizing this drama from day 1! Omg i just realise that there are alot of haters out there!

Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Exactly,I feel the same way

Haters will always hate

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options