Throwback to the time Johnny Depp fell in love with his Edward Scissorhands Winona Ryder co-star before dating Amber Heard.
johnny depp,Amber Heard,Hollywood,Winona RyderWhen Johnny Depp fell in love with Winona Ryder before dating Amber Heard: I love her more than I love myself

Way before Johnny Depp laid his eyes on Amber Heard, who he married in 2015 and then divorced in 2016, the actor was head over heels in love with his Edward Scissorhands co-star Winona Ryder. The film came out in 1990. It was truly love at first sight for Depp. The actor saw Ryder for the first time at the 1989 premiere of Great Balls of Fire! in New York and was instantly attracted to her. However, during the event they did not get to hang out together. Reportedly, months after the premiere, a mutual friend introduced them to each other and set them on a date.

The two started seeing each other and fell in love. Back then, she was 17 and he was 26. In an interview with People, Depp openly gushed about the actress and professed his undying love for her. He said he could not imagine his life without Ryder. “There’s been nothing in my 27 years that’s comparable to the feeling I have with Winona… I love her so much. I don’t know what I would do without her. I love that girl. I love her almost more than I love myself,” he said.

Ryder too declared her love for the Pirates of the Caribbean star during an interview in which she revealed that Depp was her first everything. “When I met Johnny, I was a pure virgin. He changed that. He was my first everything. My first real kiss. My first real boyfriend. My first fiancé. The first guy I had sex with,” she said. Ryder was engaged to actor Depp for three years beginning in July 1990. However, their relationship did not last and the actors took their fans by surprise when they announced their split in 1993.

Following their breakup, Depp went back to work. Back then he was working on The Nightmare Before Christmas with director Tim Burton. The filmmaker had later mentioned that Depp turned up to work in floods of tears. While talking about their split, Depp told Burton that the breakup was his fault and not Ryder’s. The actress was just as devastated by their breakup. According to a report by Mirror, Ryder struggles with depression after the split.

When Depp and Ryder were together, the actor had gotten her name tattooed as a token of his love for her. After they decided to call it quits, Depp tweaked his ink and instead of getting rid of it, he replaced “Winona Ryder” with “Wino Forever.” Explaining his decision to keep the tattoo, Depp once said, “To have the tattoo removed or erase it is to try and say it never happened. If I alter it in some way, make it funny – put her next boyfriend’s name on top of it, say – it would still be honest,” he explained.

The two eventually moved on in their lives and Johnny ended up marrying Heard. They two reached a divorce settlement in 2016. The 56-year-old actor filed a USD 50 million defamation lawsuit against Heard in 2019 after the actress accused him of domestic abuse in 2018. They are currently in the middle of a very ugly legal battle. Earlier this year, Ryder defended her former lover called Amber Heard's claims of domestic violence 'impossible to believe' in a legal declaration.

'I do not want to call anyone a liar but from my experience of Johnny, it is impossible to believe that such horrific allegations are true. I find it extremely upsetting knowing him as I do' the Stranger Things star said during her legal declaration that was obtained by The Blast. “I knew Johnny very well years ago. We were together as a couple for four years, and I counted him as my best friend, and as close to me as family. I count our relationship as one of the more significant relationships of my life. I understand that it is very important that I speak from my own experience,' she stated.

Ryder asserted that she found Heard’s accusations shocking because she could never imagine Johnny as a person who would use violence against women. “I obviously was not there during his marriage to Amber, but, from my experience, which was so wildly different, I was absolutely shocked, confused and upset when I heard the accusations against him. The idea that he is an incredibly violent person is the farthest thing from the Johnny I knew and loved. I cannot wrap my head around these accusations.”

ALSO: Here's why Justin Bieber & Hailey Baldwin have the latter's sister Alaia Baldwin to thank for their first kiss

This Day That Year
2019
2017
2016
2015
Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It annoys me that entertainment ‘news’ sources keep saying Ryder defends Depp in her deposition — she continually says that in her own experience with him (which occurred for four years almost 30 years ago) he never exhibited physically abusive behavior, not that he was incapable of it. Repeatedly she says the Johnny she knew all those years ago was incapable of it, and it was upsetting to think him capable of it now. It sounds a lot like Ryder was put in a situation, as a character witness, that she might not have been comfortable with. They should just leave her tf out of it. She doesn’t need that kind of crap.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

There are two sides to every story but, I watched video footage of Amber talking about the abuse incident with Johnny to another woman- her recount of the events was hard to follow and she seemed to not be able to retell facts about what had exactly happened. There was a lot of “I think” and “I can’t remember” and “I don’t know”. Her lawyer ends up stepping in and ending the questioning stating she was too upset to continue. Then, I watched video footage of Johnny talking about Amber throwing bottles at him incident - his account came across as very clear and concise like he was re-telling facts. “She threw a bottle at me”, “it hit me here”, then, this happened, then that happened. They’re two accounts are WILDLY different and he definitely comes across as believable.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

As someone who grew up in a physically abusive home, Ms. Heard’s recollections are very familiar. Fractured, scattered, hazy memories are pretty common. Even now, after decades of therapy, my memories are still fractured, even ones which had nothing to do with trauma/abuse but occurred within the same timeline. Mr. Depp sounded like he was telling a story, like he was coached on what to say. Unless you’ve been in those sort of situations, you can’t know what it’s like to recall them to others, no matter how much time he passed since they happened.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I will never believe that Johnny would ever treat or harm this Amber Heard. He comes across as a kind caring thoughtful man who loves his fans and loved by his children and his friends. I really hope that Amber gets what she deserves and goes to prison. She committed Perjury ( lied to the police and courts) and this is a criminal offence.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I've listened too all Heard and Depp's recordings and read transcripts from her deposition and She's a proven liar...every other word out of her mouth is a lie.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

You don't know that she lied. How come anotorious drunk is so good? It's unheard of.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

So did the priests . You saw him drunk and volatile.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Depp had literally nothing to do with Nightmare.

Maybe so.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Well the truth really does hurt from Shari

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Im not buying a thing that Amber chick is sellin! Im a woman who has been in her fair share of relationships with narcissistic men,abusive men as well. Amber Heard sure fits the mold. Shes a liar and an admitted abuser herself. She has zero credibility in this case. She cant seem to let JD go. The divorce was settled and she files this ridiculous civil suit. I think its more about punishing JD than about money. Shes beautiful on the outside but tremendously ugly on the inside. I think when JD either wouldnt or couldnt help make her a star she became a venomous,bitter,hate filled monster. Allhe wants is to be rid of her and she just wont go away. Shes the typical spoiled child who seems to think even negative attention is better than no attention at all. Sad,sad woman who gives ALL WOMEN a bad name,particularly the women who are truly abused. If theyd had a child she would probably be accusing him of child molestation.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I can't judge or make any accusations because i wasnt there. To me Johnny Depp seemed to be in new world of self destruct and meeting Amber Heard at that time was the bullet in the gun. She seems to me to be very calculated and manipulating, she didnt bring the best out in him but worked hard bringing out the worst. Living in a volatile relationship is like being on an illegal high and Johnny was her new Drug. Abuse doesn't happen quick You don't meet on a Monday and the abuser abuses on a Tuesday, its a gradual thing so you in it deep before you realise your living in a toxic world. Amber is a Narcissist and you can never have a healthy life with one of them. They never take responsibility and they are also very careful in exposing their true self. I have been Johnny Depp and i hope he heals Amber heard she needs specialist help before she damages someone else.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's hard to bring out the best in a selfish alcoholic.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I wonder what would have happened if friends hadn’t stopped Johnny and Winona from getting married by saying she was too young. I think it would have worked out lol

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Here's so.e advise Johnny , try dating somebody your own age ...

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Age has nothing to with love, especially if you are young and good looking or religious.

Johnny Depp is a Satanist

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

That's different. Is it true?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

No mention of Vanessa ... mothervof his beautiful grown kids ? And he is a Satanist and has the 33 degree Mason ring to prove it - what do you have to do to be a "A List " Actor is pretty barbaric and flat out evil with their "spirit cooking spells" and do much more - he us not a good guy , none of them are especially Directors

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I really doubt he is. Nobody has asked him? I know Hollywood, however, loves to humiliate specific ordinary people in their films, even inciting violence

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Btw Vanessa Paradis ALSO offered up a statement in JD defense. You really should make sure you have your facts before commenting on someone elses life. Then again thats a common problem with people...they talk a lot of sh#t without even KNOWING that person. We all need to take a closer look in the MIRROR and work on ourselves instead of wasting do much time spreading BS

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Lol...jesus this is the most ridiculous jumble of nonsensical c**p Ive ever read lol

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I will help you pay for mental health treatment. I'm not even joking. I'm worried about you.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

So Amber Heard is a bit crazy but she's an awesome actress and very beautiful and smart - every man's desire !

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Beauty is about kindness,not wickedness. Dont normalize evil anything.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Wrongo!! She may be pretty...but as a Bullet for my Valentine says," she's only pretty on the outside." I prefer the good hearted soul, pretty is a bonus.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

That's probably what Johnny thought at the beginning

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Erm...no. "A bit crazy" automaitically nullifies "EVERY man's desire"

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

So your article only covered Johnny Depp's life at age 26 and at age 56 ...so what about his life in between like when he married the mother of his two beautiful adult kids , Vanessa ? Johnny Depp also dated Model Kate Moss after Ryder ...

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

So winona never made a Harvey Weinstein movie ?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Johnny all the way. I hope Amber gets what she deserves.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Johnny Johnny... stop drink so much so we can enjoy you for another 20 yrs. Amber, sweetie, get a life !!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

JUSTICE FOR JOHNNY! Amber Heard is horrible. She should be fired and brought up on charges for falsifying evidence, just like jussie smollet. Never again will I watch anything with that wench in it. Aquaman needs the stunning Emilia Clarke!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

She is a horrible actress, but then again most of them are. You don't know if she lied

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Deep down we all know that our captain is innocent and have been framed by a vicious bitch pirate

Maybe. Maybe not.

Hello

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I wish people were just as passionate about rescuing millions of little girls and teens from imprisonment in rape brothels. No soldier on earth gives a dam. Shame. It is a war crime.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Sounds about right. But he is a notorious drunk wearing a satanist ring- completely innocent?

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I stand with Johnny. As a feminist, it is truly disturbing that unproven allegations can brand, what appears to be, by many accounts, a good man as a violent predator. Amber Heard historically and presentally, is very manipulative and attention-seeking. To threaten someone "that you'll never work again" just because your marriage is ending us extremely spiteful and immature, at best. Then she continued to damage his good name, and do everything in her power to enact her gateful threats. That takes a lot of energy and mean-spiritedness. I could continue on and on, but enough said for now. Go Johnny, we love your work and want you to get the roles you so truly deserve!!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Wow, what a relevant comment

I don't believe Johnny worked on the Nightmare Before Christmas

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

No they cast Chris Sarandon very specifically, because he sounds just like Danny Elfman, who writes all the songs for the Burton movies, and sang them for Jack.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Chris Sarandon played Jack. So easy to look up.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

What???? Depp played the lead, Jack! Wow!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Yup. That's wrong. PV gets everything wrong nowadays. He might have been working on Ed Wood at the time and since that isn't "zesty" Burton movie, it doesn't come to mind so fast like a lot of the others.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I've known John for many years. You can't judge people buy what you read in the media or what characters they play. You have to know them personally. John has never been a violent person. Ever!

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

by* but I'm sure you know that, just like you know Depp.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

well who are you? I guess anybody can just write anything if nobody's going to bother to try to prove who they are or if it's real.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Johnny Depp is an all around good guy, and while I may not agree with him politically, the idea that someone could destroy a legacy that took him a lifetime to build with baseless accusations and no proof absolutely sickens me. Not only did she ruin this man, she at victims rights back and made it even more difficult for REAL victims to be believed. There is no justification for had. We stand with Johnny

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Johnny Depp is a 56 year old man PV. This makes it sound like he just dated Winona and then married Amber Heard. He has had like 5 engagements and this doesn't even mention Vanessa, the mother of his kids.

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

amber heard is a proven abuser and liar. A fake narcesistic monster really. All evidence supports Johnny Depp, witnesses and all. Heard on the other hand tries to stop the case. She can't keep up stright stories even. It's all just fake stories by a liar. amber heard cut off Johnny Depps finger and had to endure this hell because he is a man. #justiceforjohnnydepp

Agreed

Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Mr Depp, I have enjoyed your films for years. You sir are the franchise of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. I can't imagine them making another installment in the series without you. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you in your next endeavors.

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options