Shanthipriya also revealed that her sister and actress Bhanupriya quit films because the industry did not accept her for her dusky skin tone. Read on to know more.
News,akshay kumar,ShanthipriyaAkshay Kumar's Saugandh co star Shanthipriya opens up on racism, reveals actor made fun of her skin colour

Akshay Kumar co-star Saugandh co star Shanthipriya, in an interview to NBT.com, has opened up about the rejection she faced in the early '90s in the film industry because of her skin colour. Speaking to the portal, the former actress recalled how she was often humiliated on the film sets because her makeup would not match her co-star's and shooting would have to be stopped. Shanthipriya revealed that her sister Bhanupriya quit films because the industry did not accept her for her skin tone. While Shanthipriya did a few films, her career did not last for too long as her films flopped and eventually her career was over.

Speaking about her days then, Shanthipriya recalled, "Today, I am proud of myself but earlier I used to be humiliated in front of the entire crew. I was told that my makeup would not match with the hero and both of us looked different. Then the entire process would be redone. It was very embarrassing. Every day before going to shoot I would get scared as to how people would react to seeing me. There also came a time when I used to spend more time hiding my skin colour rather than improvising on the script or other things."

The former actress, who is being speculated to be join Bigg Boss this year, further revealed that her co-star Akshay Kumar had once made fun of her dusky skin tone. "My role in the film Ikke Pe Ikka was of a modern girl and the script demanded that I had to wear a short dress. I used to wear skin-coloured stockings and once while shooting, Akshay joked about my knees looking darker than usual. He repeatedly said that there were blood clots in my knees and all the actors and other members of the crew had a good laugh," she said.

Shanthupriya added that the incident left a deep impression on her mind and she also cried over the same. "Akshay is my good friend and I am not complaining here, but I definitely want to tell you that people have to understand how a joke made about someone's colour can hurt him/her,” she said.

The former actress also called out racism in Bollywood and said she was thrown out of two films because she refused to wear swimsuits and was told that the character demanded a fair heroine. Shanthipriya also revealed that her sister Bhanupriya's skin colour was also a talking point for many magazines. Adding that there was a lot of favouritism back then in the industry and Bhanupriya eventually lost hope.

Apart from being Akshay Kumar's first co-star in his debut film Saugandh, Shanthipriya also has starred in several Hindi, Telugu and Tamil films. Phool Aur Angaar, Veerta, Meherbaan, Ikke Pe Ikka were some of Shanthipriya's Hindi films.

What are your thoughts on the same? Let us know in the comments below.

Stay updated with the latest entertainment,fashion and lifestyle news. Get our Newsletter

Anonymous 4 days ago

Oh my! Such a spirited defense of this man-- he is just as crass as he was then and no amount of political chapaloosi will change that. Ask raveena, shilpa and aditi how he made them miserable in different ways

Anonymous 4 days ago

Shantipriya had in TV serial 'Vishwamitra' as Shakuntala , Banupriya was Menaka. AK had dated her when they did the movie . He 's been with nearly all the actresses he's worked with. He knew marrying Twinkle would seal his place in Bollywood.

Anonymous 4 days ago

Wheatish skin toned Canadian citizen Akhshay Kumar made fun of dusky skin toned Shantipriya. He is not what he pretends to be, for him only money talks and is the only thing relevant in his life.

Anonymous 4 days ago

He's starring in movies about social issues now lolll

Anonymous 4 days ago

Akshay kumar is famous for chopping off co-actors roles and forcing producers to pick his favourite actors and actresses. He was engaged to Raveena but dumped her for Shilpa who was later dumped for the daughter of superstar Rajesh Khanna. He is over smart.

Anonymous 4 days ago

Whether it was Akshay or somebody else it reflected the way of thinking of glamour world then. Now however things are getting changed everywhere. Anyhow Parenting does matter

Anonymous 4 days ago

In the rest of the interview she spoke well about him. The entire interview is not published here.

Anonymous 4 days ago

Akshay dint have to be vocal about that.. Bhanupriya and AK making livelihood through it. I remember Akshay himself ranting about how competitive it was for outsiders even back then to make a place in bollywood. That should have made Akshay even more supportive to Bhanupriya . Atleast he dint have to say about HOW she looks ..if not supportive.

Anonymous 4 days ago

Not defending him but saying truth. Still many ppl are concerned with fair skin but at 1991 it was more bizarre mentality. So if he made a comment like this when he was 24 (not so mature) but he's changed since then. Plz understand my point.

Anonymous 4 days ago

This incident occured when they were shooting for Ikke pe Ikka, as mentioned by Shatipriya ma'am, which was a 1993/4 film, I suppose. So he would have been older. I have always been Akshay Kumar's ardent fan but here I would find it difficult to speak on his behalf.

Anonymous 4 days ago

Yeah...back in the days...it was shameful to be of darker complexion. Our family members always competed against each other (re: who is lighter among them). It was less than to be darker even though you had desirable features! So stupid!!!! I always wondered what happened to Bhanupriya... she reminded me of a dusky Sridevi!!! Love you Bhanupriya...I always thought you were gorgeous!! Anyways getting back to my experience... my sister was bullied by family members about being darker than the rest of the sisters! Poor thing wanted “plastic surgery” to change her colour. She began to hate the way she looked and later in life got major mental health issues.

Anonymous 4 days ago

your experience is in family circle. But Bhanupriya mam experiences where both HERSELF and Mr.Skshay Kumar wer doing show business.

Anonymous 4 days ago

Deepika, Kajol, Priyanka are all dusky and look extremely good. Sad that ppl are treated in their skin color....SADDDDDDDDD. I think akshay must b v v v v v happy with his FAIR twinke....

and yet all 3 of them have done complete skin lightening

Anonymous 4 days ago

count your blessings that he didnt harass you like the others

Anonymous 4 days ago

yes seriously. is anyone surprised that a known harasser is also racist?

seriously ..???

Anonymous 4 days ago

Tab woh boht young tha tab uss umar aur uss zamane mein soch aisi hi thi. Ab he is mature. Plz get a life.

Anonymous 4 days ago

The foolish man don't know how any won eats amango ?asking a p.m.His wife is more intelligent and vocal than him ,atleast calls spade a spade without fear and favour.Remember her pronouncing the word Dolund ala modi and giving its meaning.

Oh PULLEASE. STOP making lame excuses for grown men

Anonymous 4 days ago

kahan ki maturity bhai..? he still eyes for younger talent movues... he eyed MS Dhoni..Chichore and also snatched Kesari movie fromRandeep hooda .

Anonymous 4 days ago

Wow...what bizarre mentality !

Anonymous 4 days ago

now here this is ! The Akshay Kumar .....Thank you Mam for sharing this .

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options