Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment case: Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Winslet condemn Hollywood producer

Updated on Oct 12, 2017 03:45 PM IST  |  1.7M

News,Meryl Streep,Jennifer Lawrence,Kate Winslet,Harvey Weinstein

Hollywood actresses like Meryl Streep, Judi Dench, Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Winslet, among others, have condemned producer Harvey Weinstein amid a growing number of sexual harassment allegations against him. However, besides George Clooney, other actors have not opened up on the case yet.

Weinstein, who has been fired from The Weinstein Company, has been accused by multiple women of sexually harassing them over a period of nearly three decades. He reportedly invited women to hotel rooms for business reasons and then greeted them nude or asked them to massage him or watch him shower.

Filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino, David
Russell and Michael Moore have refused to comment on the issue, reports theguardian.com.

"I was deeply disturbed to hear the news about Harvey Weinstein's behavior. I worked with Harvey five years ago and I did not experience any form of harassment personally, nor did I know about any of these allegations. This kind of abuse is inexcusable and absolutely upsetting," Lawrence said.

Streep said that "the disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled" all the people who have worked with him.

She added: "The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes. One thing can be clarified. Not everybody knew. Harvey supported the work fiercely, was exasperating but respectful with me in our working relationship, and with many others with whom he worked professionally."

Dench said that like others in the industry, she too was "completely unaware of
these offences which are, of course, horrifying".

"I offer my sympathy to those who have suffered, and wholehearted support to those who have spoken out," she said.

Winslet called all the women who have accused Weinstein "brave" and said: "The way Harvey Weinstein has treated these vulnerable, talented young women is not the way women should ever deem to be acceptable or commonplace in any workplace."

Actor-filmmaker George Clooney didn't slam Weinstein, but called the allegations "indefensible".

"That's the only word you can start with. Harvey's admitted to it, and it's indefensible. I've known Harvey for 20 years. He gave me my first big break as an actor in films in ‘From Dusk Till Dawn', he gave me my first big break as a director with ‘Confessions of a Dangerous Mind'.

"We've had dinners, we've been on location together, we've had arguments. But I can tell you that I've never seen any of this behavior -- ever."

Comments
User Avatar
User Avatar
Anonymous : Next in line are Rakesh Roshan, Subhash Ghai and Shakti Kapoor.
User Avatar
Anonymous : All Harvey needed was to befriend Karan Johar, then he would have a public arse kissing sycophant bff for life.
User Avatar
Anonymous : I wish depika, katrina should support kangana like these foreign actresses support their counterparts.
User Avatar
Anonymous : Kangana is the predator in this case.
User Avatar
Anonymous : And yet they all remain quiet when it comes to Woody Allen.
User Avatar
Anonymous : There is no proof against Woody Allen, the child changed her testimony many times, Mia Farrow's family members are sex offenders, the case is very muddled .
User Avatar
Anonymous : What about Roman Polanski ? All of these ladies gave a standing ovation to that serial rapist.
User Avatar
Anonymous : True. Now that creep needs to be put away behind bars.
Anonymous : Welcome to the Ranaut sisters feminist club Harvey
Anonymous : Harvey is like Kangana of Hollywood
User Avatar
Anonymous : Sends chills down my spine thinking of how such men are probably in positions of power in India and preying on the vulnerable
User Avatar
Anonymous : Sajid Khan, Subhash Ghai are on top of the list. Remember the foregin girl who revealed all the sleazy directors she met in bollywood, forgot the rest of the names.
User Avatar
Anonymous : So many people coming out against one is called Truth and standing together.. In India one stalker accuses a man of her dreams on being turned down.. Erm.. Irony
User Avatar
Anonymous : Her sole purpose of running away from home becoming an actor was to stalk him and tie him down.
User Avatar
Anonymous : Wait for it, the OPPORTUNIST flake Padukone will chime in soon.
User Avatar
Anonymous : HAA! In Bollywood, we'd say "welcome to the club"