In a recent interview, Shanthipriya had recalled how her Ikke Pe Ikka co-star Akshay Kumar had made fun of her dusky skin colour.
News,akshay kumar,ShanthipriyaShanthipriya clarifies Akshay Kumar's comments on her skin colour were a 'way of being playful' with her

South and Bollywood actress Shanthipriya opened up about the blatant racism she faced in the film industry back in the '90s. Recalling how it affected her deeply, in an interview to NavBharat Times, she revealed the rejection and humiliation she faced because of her dusky skin tone. She also recalled how her Ikke Pe Ikka co-star Akshay Kumar had made fun of her skin colour on the film's set.

Shantipriya had revealed, "I used to wear skin-coloured stockings and once while shooting, Akshay joked about my knees looking darker than usual." Adding, "Akshay is my good friend and I am not complaining here, but I definitely want to tell you that people have to understand how a joke made about someone's colour can hurt him/her,” she said.

Akshay's remarks were widely published by the media on Tuesday and took social media by storm. However, Shanthipriya has now issued a clarification stating that Akshay's comments were not meant to hurt her. She tweeted, "I want to make it clear, making those comments were @akshaykumar's way of being playful with me. Even though his comments stayed with me for a while, I believe he didn't mean to hurt me or cause me distress. I adore all of his work and wish him love & luck for his future!"

In the intevriew, the former actress also called out racism in Bollywood and said she was thrown out of two films because she refused to wear swimsuits and was often told that the character demanded a fair heroine.

Stay updated with the latest entertainment,fashion and lifestyle news. Get our Newsletter

Anonymous 3 days ago

playful my foot.it's rude and derogatory to make comments about a woman's physical attributes. and he didnt even know her personally.

Anonymous 3 days ago

Now someone else will color shame somebody and say he / she is being playful. High time we stop encouraging this behavior. I remember in childhood i was not like my other siblings and everyone used to say very bad things on my face. Once one relative asked my mother "your this daughter has not taken your looks, iske Abbu kaale hain kya?" All my life I lived with very low self-esteem, always tried to hide myself in school, college, family functions .. everywhere. When I went out for job in another city all alone, I started getting praises for my looks and dressing and then I changed as a person. We all are beautiful in our own way, please dont believe anyone who says otherwise. And dont accept such behavior from anyone. Just tell them " I find myself very beautiful, if you cant see that problem is with you. And dont make these comments it makes you look very bad."

Anonymous 3 days ago

That was rude Akshay! Disappointed with you

Anonymous 3 days ago

Being a racist is playful to you?

Anonymous 3 days ago

Has akki promised her a bhaabi's role or mother's role in his next film.

Anonymous 3 days ago

No akki is playful with each and every one even on tkss and we like it

Anonymous 3 days ago

Mafia called her.

Anonymous 3 days ago

Gross...just gross. Ladies, pls stop taking this BS and stand up to your mistreatment

Anonymous 3 days ago

Yes we know how "playful" Akki can be

Pinkvilla has updated its Privacy and Cookie policy. We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and show you Personalized advertisement.

Options