Updated on Nov 22, 2021 09:12 PM IST  |  198.4K

Vir Das OPENS UP on controversy over 'Two Indias': As long as I do comedy, will write love letters to India.

Days after facing severe backlash for his viral 'I Come from Two Indias' video, Vir Das has opened up on the controversy he landed in. Speaking to NDTV, the comedian was asked about his initial reaction to the video that caused a furore on Twitter and among political circles.

In the video, Vir Das compares the two distinctive sides of India while referring to controversial issues such as the farmer protests to pollution. When asked if he would do the set differently or change anything about it, the comedian said, "I think laughter is a celebration and when laughter and applause fill up a room... that's a moment of pride. I think that any Indian who has a sense of humour, or understands satire, or watches my entire video, knows that that's what happened in that room."

Vir Das added that people's reactions to his joke is not in his hands. "A comedian puts out satire and if it's the good of the country and the bad of the country ending in the good of the country... I think that's something that you should want to come together in - I can't expect what happens when I put out a piece of content... It's jokes. It's not in my hands," he said.

The viral video ended up with FIRs being registered against the comedian as well as being banned to perform in states like Madhya Pradesh.

However, Vir Das, who has been picked for an International Emmy nomination, remains unfazed.

"I have made my country laugh for 10 years now. I have devoted my life to writing about my country. We are here at the Emmys because I wrote a love letter to my country. As long as I am able to do my comedy I want to keep writing love letters to my country," Vir Das said.

When asked if this episode has changed him and whether he will tread cautiously, the comedian said, "I just don't know. Write jokes and hope to hell that people watch all of them, the full thing in its actual context."

ALSO READ: I Come From Two Indias: Vir Das issues clarification on the VIDEO after severe backlash

Credits: NDTV

Comments
User Avatar
User Avatar
Anonymous : Politicians use his trick a lot in assembly meetings in Aus. They say something which they know the moderator will make them retract. But they have done the damage intended and then just say “ I withdraw that comment”.
REPLY 0 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : He knew what with happen. It’s his only way to trend. Love or hate him he is now known which is a performer’s dream.
REPLY 1 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : why didnt he say that rape cases in India are 4 times less than the US, even though the population is 4 times more.
REPLY 1 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Such people dont have a soul. just boycott him forever
REPLY 1 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Vir das needs to be shipped to Afghanistan. He speaks for congress with Aaj tak owner written letter ! How is this creativity? Anti national white slave mentality guy
REPLY 2 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Whatever he said, how is that a comedy?
REPLY 3 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : He is unfortunately right in our attitude towards women . he just showed us a mirror .why blame him .
REPLY 2 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : it's wasn't only about farmers and pollution, he were saying we gangrape women, shame on him. still justifying his action and abuses.
REPLY 3 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Is it not reality women being raped in India everyday. Ask your mom or sister to walk on street at night and see the treatment they get. Talking about issues is a step to solution. Don’t brush the dirt under the carpet
REPLY 2 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Shut up. People like you need to live in North Korea so can be grateful. Post PV.
REPLY 2 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : As if women in New York or Chicago are any safer ? Do American "comedians" go around the world crying and complaining about their country ? If they did that, their own countrymen will boo them
REPLY 2 2 weeks ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : I live there I absolutely feel safe even when going grocery shopping at 12 am if I need to. Not the same when I come to Delhi
REPLY 0 2 weeks ago