13 Best Brushes for Hair Extensions to Ensure Their Longevity
Joining the bandwagon of the increasingly popular hair styling option is not as simple as it looks. Taking proper care of those hair extensions is equally important. Keep those new tresses looking lively and long-lasting with these best brushes for hair extensions.
There is a proper haircare routine that has to be followed while looking after your hair extensions. Just getting the extensions is not enough. For them to stay beautiful and serve you for a longer time, you have to give them extral care and attention. Hair brushing is one of the important steps in taking care of our hair. And hair extensions are no different. Brushing them to keep them tangle-free goes a long way in increasing their longevity as well as keeping your real hair safe and healthy. And just about any type of brush will not do the trick. There are specific extension brushes that glide gently over the hair extension bonds, combing and detangling them softly without hurting the scalp or your hair follicles. As per our expertise, we have narrowed down 13 hair brushes that are safe for your hair extensions. Whether you have tape-in, fusion, clip-in, or halo hair extensions, they will keep them damage-free and intact.
In This Article
13 Best Brushes for Hair Extensions
The extension-friendly hairbrush from Tangle Teezer is our top favorite for maintaining and blending hair extensions, clip-ins, and weaves. The soft-bristled brush smoothly glide over the bonds, delivering gentle brushing and detangling of the extensions. Crafted with the brand's patented two-tiered teeth technology, the longer teeth offer precision styling while the shorter ones smooth cuticles. Apart from adding hair volume, smoothness, and shine, the finishing brush can also be used for dry-styling and back-brushing to add volume at the roots. The ergonomic handle has a comfortable hold that does not put pressure on your wrist or hand.
- Provides gentle, snag-free styling
- Works great on all hair types
- Bottle-shaped teeth
- Ideal for blending extensions
- Creates pro-style up-dos
- Not for curly hair
Framar Detangling Brush for Curly Hair
Another great option for brushing extensions is the detangling brush from Framar. Though suitable for all hair types, the hair brush is ideal for detangling curly hair with extension. The flexible bristles are made to separate even the tough tangles without pulling or snagging. The long bristles help to stimulate circulation and promote healthy hair growth by gently massaging the scalp. Get pain-free detangling of the extensions with this extension brush as it flexes and glides over the bonds without yanking or ripping them.
- Bristles have smooth ball tips
- The flexible bristles prevent breakage
- Lightweight, easy-grip handle
- Detangles hair quickly and fast
- Hard to clean
Fiora Naturals Hair Detangling Brush
Brushing the extensions has never been easier. The detangling brush from Fiora Naturals untangles hair without pulling or yanking. The best feature is its flexible, anti-static nylon bristles that massage the scalp, distributing its natural hair oil to make hair silkier and shinier. The ultra-soft bristles gently glide through the hair extensions, separating and untangling them without ripping out the bonds or the weft. The double-curved spiral design of the brush head perfectly flexes and contours with your scalp to provide easy and smooth combing.
- Removes knots without breakage
- Vented contoured design cuts drying time to half
- Non-slip grip handle
- 100% biodegradable
- Not for styling the hair
The Wet Brush Pro Select Paddle
The paddle brush from Wet Brush will soon become your go-to hair brush for maintaining hair extensions. It features IntelliFlex bristles that effortlessly bend and flex to gently remove knots without pulling or tugging. It works great in dry and damp hair, detangling and straightening them with little to no breakage. The round-tipped bristles and broad, flat cushioned base creates a sleek, straight style on the hair extensions. The extension brush also prevents static electricity from forming, smoothing out frizz and flyaways.
- Detangles hair with ease
- Ideal for both wet and dry hair
- Does not cause any tear or damage to hair
- Soft, flexible bristles
- Non-slip rubber handle
- The bristles are not long-lasting
Denman Tangle Tamer Ultra Detangling Paddle Brush
The beautiful cherry blossom print of Denman's paddle brush is sure to catch your eye. But do not just go with its aesthetics. When it comes to extensions, this brush expertly maneuvers through the hair, gently separating and untangling them from the hair roots to the tips without any harm to the extensions or your natural strands. The super strong nylon bristles softly flex and glide through the hair without catching or dragging. Apart from detangling, you can use this flat-shaped brush for push-drying, rapid blow-drying, gentle styling, straightening, and smoothing.
- The soft nylon bristles are ideal for hair extensions and wigs
- Capable of removing tough knots and tangles
- Damage-free styling
- Air-cushioned pad
- Comfortable grip and control
Balmain Hair Extension Brush
Damage-free grooming and styling of your hair extensions is now possible with this perfect brush from Balmain. A specially made hair brush for extensions, it is suitable for all types of hair extensions. Regular brushing with it provides suppleness and a healthy shine to your hair. The soft bristles effortlessly run through the extensions, detangling them and preventing cuticle damage. Starting with the ends first, gently brush them, gradually advancing towards the middle, and finally brushing the roots of the extensions. Doing so will ensure the longevity of your hair extensions.
- Glides over the bonds
- Does not harm the wefts
- Prevents hair breakage
- Super soft nylon bristles
- Easy to use
RemySoft Loop Brush
An absolute must-have for hair extensions, wigs, and weaves, RemySoft's brush is designed with loop bristles for smooth and safe brushing of the extensions. The loop does not get caught onto the extensions, wigs, or hair system. The hair strands gently pass through the loops without getting pulled or yanked. The loop brush is designed to brush down the extensions right down to the roots without affecting the weft or the extensions. Maintain the natural appearance of your extensions with this extension brush.
- Flexible nylon loop bristles
- Reduces hair breakage and shedding
- Lightweight and durable
- Rubber grip handle
- Does not snag or pull on the bonds, bases, or natural hair strands
- The grip is not comfortable
Spornette Super Looper Wig Brush
Natural or synthetic hair extension, this loop brush from SPORNETTE expertly glides through the strands, separating and detangling them. Perfect for hair extensions, wigs, hair pieces, toupees, and weaves, it is ideal for detangling wigs of all types. Brush, detangle, and style your attachments with the gentle cushioned bristles. Daily brushing of your hair with this brush will make hair healthy and prevent the formation of tangles and knots. The loops are gentle on the bonds and wefts and do not get stuck on the hair strands. Make this highly functional tool a part of your hair care routine to manage any type of hair extensions.
- Ideal for daily maintenance
- Can be used for straightening and smoothening
- Perfect for lace front wigs, synthetic wigs, and hair extensions
- Cushioned base
- Gentle on all fiber types and styles of hair pieces
- The bristles get loose after use
AVEDA Wooden Paddle Brush
AVEDA’s wooden paddle brush has extended bristles with soft tips that massage and stimulate the scalp, strengthening the follicles and reducing hair fall. While styling or blow-drying your extensions, it gently passes through the hair strands without causing any stress to the hair and scalp. The flat paddle design covers a lot of hair at once, making it ideal for long, thick, and wavy hair. With a sturdy handle and strong but gentle bristles, it is the perfect tool for maintaining hair extensions and massaging sensitive scalp.
- Detangles hair gently
- Strong but soft bristles
- Sturdy wooden handle
- Goes deep while brushing and massages the scalp
- Prevents hair breakage
- The bristles fall off after a couple of uses
Scalpmaster Hair Extension Cushion Paddle Brush
A paddle brush with loop bristles is the perfect combination that you can wish for in a hairbrush for extensions. The flat base of the paddle brush from Scalpmaster helps in smoothening the strands, reducing frizz, and preventing breakage. The looped bristles glide smoothly and easily over the extensions without pulling at them or causing any breakage. They are specially designed to prevent pulling or snagging on the bonds, wefts, and beads. The special brush gently detangles the hair extensions without ripping out the natural strands.
- Specifically designed for extensions
- Soft cushioned base
- Keeps hair tangle-free
- The loops are gentle on the hair
- Not suitable for thick hair
Olivia Garden Divine Revolutionary Ergonomic Design Hair Brush
Gently detangle hair extensions with Olivia’s wet detangler hair brush. It is crafted with the brand’s patented Special Memory Flex bristles that have comfortable ball-point tips. The ergonomically designed brush provides superior styling to your extensions and the cushioned pad is soft and comfortable on hair roots and scalp. The unique handle design does not put any stress on the wrist when you detangle or style your hair. Suitable for all hair types, it can also be used to detangle wet hair extensions.
- Total styling control
- Can be used with or without a blow-dryer
- The unique shape perfectly fits into hands
- Gentle on hair and scalp
- Flexible bristles
- The ball-point tips fall off after a couple of uses
Detangling Brush Safe for Hair Extensions by The Hair Shop
Ideal for human hair extensions, the detangling brush from The Hair Shop untangles the toughest knots. Made to brush out any knot or matted hair, the flexible nylon bristles perfectly detangle all hair types and lengths. The high-quality material and ergonomic design make it a must-have accessory for the care of hair extensions. You can either use it to daily brush your extensions or it can also be used to brush wet hair after conditioning in the shower.
- Flexible and soft bristles
- Safe for kids
- Snag-free brushing
- Gentle detangling
- Rubber handle
- Not easy to clean
TimeTinkle Wig Brush Comb Set - Loop Brush & Mini Wig Comb
TimeTinkle offers a combination of a looped brush for hair extension and a wide-toothed comb for wigs. The loops are made of soft nylon, suitable for detangling hair extensions and wigs. They gently massage the scalp without putting any stress on the hair strands. The mini comb is perfect for managing long, messy, curly, and thick synthetic and human hair wigs. Before using the mini comb, the wigs should be prepped and conditioned with hair products for damage-free combing. The wig brush help in removing dust and dirt from the wig without getting caught in the weft.
- Reduces frizz and breakage
- Massages the scalp
- Snag-free brushing
- Strong and sturdy
- Leaves the extensions looking smooth and shiny
How to Choose a Suitable Brush for Hair Extensions?
- Bristles: The most important part of a hairbrush for extensions is its bristles. Flexible bristles with rounded tips or looped bristles are ideal for hair extensions as they do not pull or snag the extensions. They gently run through the hair without getting caught in the strands. They prevent hair breakage.
- Grip: When choosing brushes for extensions, select one with a comfortable, non-slip grip that lets you brush through the hair slowly and softly without feeling heavy or slipping off your hand. A lightweight brush with a rubberized grip is perfect for hair extensions.
- Hair type: Flat paddle brushes or detangler brushes are extension-friendly. But their performance depends on the type of hair. Paddle brushes are ideal for detangling curly and kinky hair. As curly hair is prone to frizzes, they help stimulate the natural oil by massaging the scalp, reducing frizz and flyaways. The detangler brush is specifically made for fine or straight hair. Their thin, flexible bristles make brushing pain-free. The extension hair type also plays a part. Some brushes are meant for extensions made from real human hair as well as synthetic, faux hair while some brushes are meant only for human hair extensions.
- Ease of maintenance: Select a hairbrush that can be easily washed and cleaned. For proper maintenance of hair extensions, proper hygiene care should be maintained.
- Customer Reviews: It is advisable to always go through customer reviews while buying a hairbrush. Going through the reviews that match your hair extension type will let you know which hairbrush is ideal for your hair extension.
How to Brush Hair Extensions?
Hair extensions should be brushed properly every single morning with an extension-friendly hairbrush to remove the knots and tangles. Follow these simple steps to comb and detangle your extensions:
- For permanent hair extensions like tape-in, fusion, or sew-in, gather all your hair at the back like a low ponytail.
- Taking the extension brush, slowly and gently brush starting at the hair tips and gradually working towards the roots.
- After brushing, run your fingers through the hair to ensure there aren’t any knots left, and the bonded or tape-in extensions are intact.
- For temporary hair extensions like clip-in or halo, all the aforementioned steps have to be followed but with one important exception. They have to be brushed before attaching to the natural hair strands.
For the complete brushing care of extensions, do not forget to brush them before going to bed. Sharing a few tips to properly brush hair extensions, our contributor Nate Masterson, Hair Expert at Maple Holistics, says, “Choose a brush with soft bristles, ideally one designed for extensions or a loop brush. Divide your hair into parts to make the process easier and hold the hair at the roots, near to the connection, for support as you untangle. Use soft strokes to avoid forceful or violent pulling. Starting from the bottom and working your way up helps to avoid pulling on the roots.”
He continues, “If you have longer extensions then I recommend spritzing them with a little bit of water and then tying them up into a loose-ish braid. The braid will help prevent friction and frizz, as well as protect the extensions from becoming damaged while you’re tossing and turning during the night. If you’re not so keen on the braids, you can also try a loose ponytail although this is not as effective at protecting your extensions as a plait or braid.”
Brushing the hair extensions before going to bed will prevent them from tangling while you sleep. Also, it will ensure fewer knots and tangles to deal with the next morning.
Advantages Of Using Hair Extensions-Friendly Brushes
Using a regular comb or hairbrush on your hair extensions, wigs, or hairpieces will either damage them or reduce their longevity. Extension-friendly brushes will keep your extensions soft and tangle-free without damaging them. They are sturdy with gentle bristles that do not yank or rip out the hair. The extension brushes do not tug at the bonds or wefts but glide over them easily. They will neither compromise on the health and longevity of the extensions nor will they affect your hair texture.
Contributor: Nate Masterson, Hair Expert - Maple Holistics
We have put in the time to research the best brushes for hair extensions so that you don't have to. Our findings show that to have a pain-free and safe brushing of your extensions, you must make use of the right tools. To keep the bonds and wefts safe and long-lasting, soft bristle brushes that flex and bend must be used. The most ideal hairbrush for hair extensions is a paddle brush with looped bristles. The loops softly pass through the extensions without any pull or tug while the flat base helps in styling and smoothening them. It is suitable for both permanent and temporary hair extensions.
Why Trust Pinkvilla
Alvira is our in-house haircare expert. Anything related to hair, she is bound to know about. And for those that she does not, she takes it upon herself to gather as much information as she can to help out her readers. Today, she has discussed hair extensions and how brushing them can increase their lifespan. She has seen the growing popularity of hair extensions. And she also knows that all of her loyal readers might not have any idea about the steps needed to be taken after getting the extensions. She aims to help them take care of their hair extensions properly. And for that, she has gathered a list of the best brushes for hair extensions that will provide safe grooming of the extensions.
Our product experts study the specifications of every product we suggest and try them out to bring what’s proven to be worthy of your money, time, and energy. We also have subject matter experts from various fields like Fashion, Skincare, Haircare, Home Decor, and Health & Fitness onboard to make sure our suggestions are credible and trustworthy. You can trust Select to be your faithful shopping guide for all the right reasons!
13 Best Mauve Lipsticks to Flaunt on Any Occasion
13 Best Travel Makeup Bags And Cases That Are Functional Yet Chic
13 Best Organic Shampoos for Healthy Hair Cleansing – Expert’s Picks
13 Best Antibacterial Body Washes to Fight Germs And Odor
13 Best Beard Shampoos to Add to Your Grooming Routine
15 Best Beach Wedding Dresses for Ceremonies on the Shore