Actor-comedian Kiku Sharda, who currently portrays various roles like Palak, Pankhudi and Lachha in the popular TV show "Comedy Nights with Kapil", says he prefers the small screen over the big screen as he gets instant feedback.
Kiku, who has also made his presence to the big screen by his supporting roles in films like "Phir Hera Pheri", "Dhamaal", "No Problem" and "Happy New Year", also finds TV shows easier to do than films as it helps him make instant image makeover.
"The best part about TV is that you can get instant response from the audience on your work. But in films, you have to wait for its release for any kind of suggestions from viewers."
"I don't know how the filmmakers handle this pressure. With TV shows, I'm able to change myself according to the needs and aspirations of my fans. I find TV shows easier to do than films," Kiku told IANS in an interview here.
The actor is known for entertaining fans with his comical characters. And he says he would love to be etched in his fans' memory with his fictional names in shows rather than his real name.
Once the 39-year-old was criticised for entering the dance reality show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa” in the garb of his fictional name Palak, and not by his real name. But criticism doesn't affect Kiku.
“Criticism hardly makes any difference to me. I want to be known by the characters that I portray. I don’t want people to remember me by my name. I'd rather feel honoured if people will remember me by my characters," he said.
"Comedy Nights With Kapil" has taken Kiku's popularity to new heights, but the show, hosted by master comedian Kapil Sharma, has faced a lot of criticism over some vulgar jokes around physicality.
Defending that, Kiku said that critics pick only 20 percent of the jokes and leave out the rest.
When asked about the use of physical comedy to raise the show's ratings, Kiku said: “I am also against all these things where you joke on somebody with reference to their physicality. But in ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’, I don’t think that we get center forward around it. We try to present comedy in a decent way and not making it look much vulgar and cheep."
“People pick only 20 percent of the show and leave the rest 80 percent. But if they watch the whole of it, then they will not say anything against it."
Talking about his highly famous character Palak in “Comedy Nights with Kapil”, Kiku added: “People call Palak a short-fatty girl, but on the other side I think she is intelligent and confident about what she is saying. She speaks from the heart."
“With due respect to women, I would like to say that people should not try to focus much on their outer beauty. We can only gain stardom when we are confident from inside."