EXCLUSIVE: Bobby Deol on his darkest phase: I became alcoholic; my kids asked why I'm not going to work

Updated on Oct 03, 2020 04:40 PM IST  |  3.1M

bobby Deol,Exclusives

Bobby Deol has had a massive comeback into films, sometime two years ago. But before that period, Bobby had been through one of the toughest phases in his life when he had no work. Despite being a top draw in the '90s and early 2000s, he lost out on everything in the last decade. Films didn't work, work started drying up and he claims that took a toll on his life.

Bobby shares, "I was getting offers and they were not great films. I chose a certain kind of films. They didn't do well and they kept pushing me backwards in my career. I just gave up one day. When I started, there was no PR and it was all just kicking in slowly. I didn't have a clue about it and soon enough, despite giving hit films, I saw that I was being replaced with other new faces. Yes, I wasn't getting work so I thought my career has ended, how will I be an earning member of my family. So it is important to have that fear."

Not just that, he shares how he had taken to alcohol and lost control of his life. "While I was doing these films, I got into alcohol which is the worst thing you can do to yourself. My family looked at me with such sadness in their eyes. They were all worried and felt when will Bobby come out of it? My kids kept asking my wife, "Why doesn't papa go out to work?" And that suddenly snapped me out of it. Then, I started meeting producers but they couldn't see the hunger in me. It was then that Salman (Khan) who I lovingly call mamu had given a piece of advice. He said, I climbed on your brother (Sunny) and Sanjay Dutt's shoulders during my bad phase. You also need to do films with another actor. So, I took it seriously and told me let me climb on yours, then."

ALSO READ: EXCLUSIVE: Bobby Deol: Not fault of kids who grew up in film family; I am an insider and I am still struggling

The Ashram actor reveals that there were a lot of things written about him in the press too. "It was a dark period; it was horrible. As I said earlier, nobody can help you, they can only make you comfortable. People started saying that Bobby is enjoying, he's had his success and doesn't need to work. Or he is lazy."

Watch his honest Untold Story right here:

Comments
User Avatar
User Avatar
Anonymous : Kudos to Salman Khan, the most selfless and generous person, who helped Bobby Deol. In fact Salman resurrected the career of Govinda and helped various newcomers and small time actors too.
REPLY 1 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : There's a general opinion that previlged people don't have struggles. Or their struggles are easier than those who don't have 'roti, kapda, makaan'. That's such a wrong way if thinking. One can never compare 2 struggles or 2 sorrows. It's indeed so brave of him to speak this out. He was never a shahruk or amir. He's always had limited acting and dancing skills. And he knows that. So it's good he's working around it.
REPLY 4 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Uncle, you are 60 years old. please retire peacefully. Already Bollywood pe tala padhne wala hain.
REPLY 2 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Problem is anyone and everyone's son and daughter think they should be the big star. Get other jobs, everyone doesn't have to become an actor.
REPLY 4 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : People who are mocking will see their bad phase too. Please be careful when you post negative comments about someone. What goes around comes around. Stay blessed.
REPLY 10 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Awww poor lil rich kid!!!
REPLY 7 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Can you stop posting this morphed photo?
REPLY 7 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Bobby, I am glad you are back with a bang and keep it up
REPLY 13 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : At least he got so many chances despite poor acting skills. He should be thankful that he didn’t have to worry about the next meal while struggling to get auditions.
REPLY 25 1 year ago
Anonymous : I'm sure he was into drugs too
REPLY 18 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Mr.Deol, it’s a self woven web. You had resources, options, and powerful shoulders to lean. Please remember you are privileged and will never have to worry about having a roof on your head and food on your plate which has become a luxury now due to pandemic. Focus on the things handed over to you effortlessly and trust me you will feel better.
REPLY 33 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : Thanks Bobby for sharing your hardship. Wish you lots of good luck. We all are fighting every day. Yes everything is not dreamy at all. Take care.
REPLY 31 1 year ago
Anonymous : Like anyone cares rofl
REPLY 5 1 year ago
User Avatar
Anonymous : That’s bold of him to share... I guess it could happen to anyone... Doesn’t he own a restaurant? What happened?
REPLY 35 1 year ago