Meet Mallika Dua aka 'Makeup Didi' Who is Slaying ?the Internet With Her ROFL Videos!

Updated on Aug 05, 2016  |  03:49 PM IST |  1.7M
NULL

A couple of months back, a 26-year-old copywriter from Delhi had the internet laughing-out-loud with her bang-on imitation of the many shoppers of Sarojini Nagar. That was Mallika Dua. Her video Shit People Say: Sarojini Nagar Edition had the social media in a tizzy. It was about a stereotypical Delhi girl who comes to Sarojini to shop. Mallika copied those girls  to the T and got the denizens in bouts of laughter. In another set of her Dubsmash videos, accompanying Dua is her father, the Padma Shri recipient, journalist Vinod Dua. Occasionally, Mallika's mother also joins the crazy dubsmash party.

Currently, Mallika is ruling the internet when it comes to hilarious Instagram posts and Snapchat videos. Her ‘Makeup Didi’ videos, enhanced by Snapchat filters, are about this parlor wali who's got no idea about anything. She loves make-up and is not bothered about "berrry-kissed lips" or "smaoky eyes." 

In an exclusive chat with Pinkvilla, Mallika opens up about the inspiration behind her OTT, crazy characters and her upcoming assignments/acts.

Your parents are an integral part of your videos. Why did you decide to involve them? Was it a conscious decision to capitalize on in-house talent?

No, not at all, it's just that they are very spontaneous at home as well. I used to make dubsamsh videos by myself and I know that my father is very funny; I get my sense of humor from him. It's not planned rather my parents are quite sporty and enthusiastic about what I do. So, a majority of the videos or dubsmashes featuring my folks are  decided and executed within 10 minutes or so!

Advertisement

From Vinod Dua's daughter to a copywriter and now becoming an internet sensation, how did the transition happen? What's your reaction to this popularity?

This all feels very nice, especially when you go out and suddenly people recognize you and say, "Are you that girl etc?" It is really fun as well, probably because we have seen this happen to our dad as when we were growing up, you wish ke aapke saath bhi aisa hi ho. Moreover, my dad is a professional, not a businessman that we will inherit something from him. So, it was very clear that I had to do something on my own. 

And above all, the best thing is that my father's identity hasn't helped me. I haven't used his name or connections to move ahead in my career. 

Your ''Makeup Didi/Parlor Wali''  avatar is an internet sensation right now. Then there are compliments like- "You make women 'taking humor to new level sound sexy'" - how do you react to all these?

(Laughs out loud)  They say 'sexy??' I think they (audiences) mean it in a good sense and not literally. Thanks to all for such gracious compliments. Actually, what happens is, since childhood I used to be very intrigued by the way people talked and the little quirks each individual has. So for this beauty parlor thing - bahut namoone milte hai aapko wahan. (laughs) For example, this parlor I used to visit often, a girl used to come there quite frequently to get her hair done. And, I used to wonder, 'like really - how regularly you have to style your tresses!?' It's quite interesting - to observe these minute observations.

And as I am from Delhi, there is  a strong shaadi culture here. So you get to see people with their golden hair and makeup oftentimes; people actually lose it when they go to a wedding. Though I have never been under dressed for a wedding, however in comparison to 'these people,' I feel like I have been wearing home clothes. Woh level hi alag hai, log aise sajkar jaate hain ki jaise apne hi gahr ki shaadi ho."

Advertisement

Does being a copywriter help you while developing characters?

Of Course. In copywriting, you have to write in a strict amount of words, 30 seconds mai aapko puri kahanni batani hai. So you have to be prepared to write different things and make them entertaining in the shortest time possible. I am not scared of the feedback because, in copywriting, you have to present your idea, pitch it in front of everyone. You can forget about the embarrassment.  

So when did you find your groove in comedy exactly? Was it during your stint as a copywriter?

I found it long before actually. I used to do a lot of comedy plays during my summer breaks in college. So those plays were like these videos only -except they were 2-3 hours long. (laughs) My play’s directors would always give me the 'maddest' character with a liberty to change or write my own lines for the role. That I guess was the turning point, it all started then and later, copywriting happened. Though as a copywriter I learned how to put things in format and give structure to a script.

Your comic timing is loved by masses these days. But then, in India, we have very few  female comedians. Would you like to try your luck as a stand-up comedian as well?

Oh Yes! See, I have never done it - the stand-up comedian acts, but I'm relocating to Mumbai soon so I am going to start doing it. Basically, I have to do it, take a couple of shots before I try my luck out there. I need to find my groove where the stand-up genre is concerned as everyone has their own unique style. On the minus side of it, you can bomb very badly in this, as usmein timing hota hai, and I think I have to do it a couple of times, fail a couple times too and then see it. 

Many people are really scared of failure but you say you're ready to take it in its stride. Elaborate.

Advertisement

I know I'll fail sooner or later but that doesn't mean I am not scared of it - I am very scared of it! But, that acceptance is there that you can't always be on top of your game. When you are trying something new, you are bound to fail sometimes, especially in stand-up as it takes time to find what connects with the audiences. 

After Makeup Didi, Sarojini Nagar shopping videos, dubsamshes - what next shall we expect from you? Are there any going to be any new characters in future? 

Yes, definitely! More characters, new ones, lot more variations are in the pipeline. I want to do everything- be it films or theater. 

So we can see next 'Superwoman' in-making?

(Laughs) You never know, let's see!

Here's have a look at some of these crazy videos and dubsmash by Mallika:

A video posted by Mallika Dua (@mallikadua) on

Advertisement

Pinkvilla Pulse
Subscribe to our newsletter for entertainment exclusives, star interviews, and the latest lifestyle trends. Look No Further!
Subscribe
About The Author
Ankita Bhalla
Ankita Bhalla
Bollywood Writer

Ankita Bhalla is a Bollywood aficionado with a Master’s in English Journalism from the Indian Institute of

Advertisement

Latest Articles